BJJ Gis

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by edudley, Dec 21, 2010.

1. edudley

edudley Valued Member

I am looking to get into GI BJJ and everywhere I look at least the uniforms I like have patches all over them. I mean if someone likes the uniform I have I can tell them where I got it, I should not need to be a walking advertisement for them.

I like the yellow Gi from Vulkan but not the fact that there patches are all over it.....

Any suggestions?

2. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick

Century martial arts have uniforms that are plain white or blue, and they are good quality. Where are you located edudley? I know you can get them in the U.S. or Australia.

3. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Valued Member

You want a yellow gi and you're worried about patches? Most are sewn on just take them off. Some of the lightwight gis, Korral, Black Eagle, Faxia Rua are fairly plain. Toraki do very nice plain BJJ gis, but depending where you are may be difficult to get hold of.

4. JoshL

JoshL Valued Member

Don't buy century gis for grappling. They're fine for maybe...a month of classes. If you don't want to waste your money get a quality Gi and if it has patches (they're sewn on 99/100) just get a $1 stitch remover and take them off.

The other option if to get a plain white or unbleached one and have it dyed if you want it colored. Keep in mind if you plan on competing that White, Blue and Blakc are accepted most commonly, some places are more lax - I'm entering a comp next month where there aren't any uniform rules but the last one in town was only blue/white/black.

Make sure your instructor is cool with your color choice as well - since you're just getting a gi it could be that you havent started training yet and some places limit the colors that beginners can wear (I think it's dumb - but it's not unheard of).

5. jh1

jh1 Valued Member

Fuji gi is pretty low key.

6. SenseiMattKlein

Sorry JoshL, but I have Century Grappling Gi's that are over five years old, and still holding up. What do you use yours for, tug-of-war games with weightlifters?

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I can't understand anyone wanting a yellow anything let alone a gi.
    Yellow is just about fine for sunflowers, labradors and urine.

8. edudley

edudley Valued Member

Then this thread isn't for you. It is about what I like not what you like. Thanks for contributing useless drivel to the thread.

We appreciate it.

9. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

a yellow gi would be awesome! i'm a beginner to bjj, but i'm loving the relaxed atmosphere. in a typical traditional school that i've attended (hapkido or aikido), gi's are white. i'm thinking of getting myself a camo gi. lol. what the hell does it matter what color your gi is anyway? too bad they don't sell kyra gracie gi's for men.

10. JSun

JSun Valued Member

Judo Gene Lebell rocked the pink gi long before Kyra Gracie sported hers. :cool:

11. Giovanni

to go back to the op...

i just got a shock wave bjj gi from amazon.com. no patches, but only dark colors.

12. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

If you don't want patches buy a light weight Judo gi.

13. SenseiMattKlein

Wow, do you know if amazon delivers gis to Australia?

14. Giovanni

i don't know, sorry.

15. proteinnerd

proteinnerd Valued Member

16. KatieS1984

KatieS1984 Valued Member

I don't find my standard Atama gis to be overly burdened with patches (just the logos on the jacket and pants from the factory), and my new Sirius blue gi just has the Sirius logo on the shoulders and on one of the pant legs.

I am planning on getting a raspberry gi next year for my birthday, though.

17. edudley

edudley Valued Member

I just don't remember purchasing any Gi/uniform where all of the patches were of what I was buying.

I prefer a clean uniform and then add my own stuff :)

18. SenseiMattKlein

I would suspect Sirius is a pretty good brand. I notice John Will wears them, and he is one of the top BJJ instructors in Australia. Were they recommended to you, Katie?

19. edudley

edudley Valued Member

Sirius looks like what I am looking for if I am not allowed to do the yellow.

I like the small emblems on the sleeves and then potentially do the Ju Jitsu on the back of the Gi.

Very nice.

20. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

I'd suggest taking a look at Meerkatsu's excellent post on buying a gi, along with his numerous gi reviews (the first one to check would probably be this, as it compares several relatively inexpensive brands).

My personal recommendation would be Padilla & Sons (reviews up here), presuming they're in stock. I've also been fairly happy with the Zero G, though I'm not fond of patches (hence why I removed them).