BJJ effective in street self defense

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Belfsst Samurai, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Belfsst Samurai

Belfsst Samurai Valued Member

Greetings all

after reading the story of the boy saving the girl by choking the dog (what a legend), I was just wondering if anyone has ever had to use BJJ in defending themselves?
    I know of one person who has had to and they basically knocked them to the ground and then 'locked them up' until they had calmed down enough to be let go. I think it was the rear naked choke too incidentally.

I was also wondering if people think it would be effective in a street fight, taking out the possibilty of being set upon by his friends while you're on the ground.

Cheers

2. RhadeConstantin

RhadeConstantin King of Badasses

Well, I don't do BJJ so I may be wrong. but from what i've seen and heard in a one on one situation with no weapons and a relatively safe floor BJJ is pretty effective . against multiples and weapons dunno. not so much. but then again if someone pulls a knife or a gun or has a bunch of buddies with him it's better to just hand over your wallet/cell phone/watch etc and do whatever they want.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

IMHO groundfighting for the street should be like a seat belt in a car.
    You don't EVER want to use it but when you need it there's nothing that can take its place.

4. Jiu JitsuNation

Jiu JitsuNation Valued Member

I've been doing BJJ for 10 years and am a black belt under Luiz Palhares. Luiz is a 6th degree under Rickson Gracie. Just to give some background. I have been in two situation over those 10 years and both after receiving my brown belt. What most people don't realize is that we are so efficient on the ground and in the clinch that we we don't have to be rolling around in the parking lot. Both times I was the smaller person and I'm 220 lbs. I handled them easily. It was effortless because they were completely lost once grabbed. One guy had attacked my brother and was very aggressive. (over a girl) I grabbed the guy because my brother(in law) is very small. I had grabbed him once told him to go home that we didn't want trouble and let him go. Only to have him come back at us. The second time I grabbed him picked him up and slammed him on the ground, went straight to knee the belly and rape choked him. Well now his eyes are huge and his tune is different. All of a sudden he plays victim. I told him I'd let him up and to go home and that if I had to do this again I will not be nice to the next time. So yes it is very effective. I have seen it many times and It ALWAYS looks easy for the BJJer.

5. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Two things here. One, why is the BJJ guy always out by himself when the sh1t hits the fan? Two, if the other guy has a knife and has a clue how to use it you will be cut before you even knows he has one.

Other than than BJJ is very effective on the street simply because 80 to 90 percent of the population have no clue on how to grapple.

6. Jiu JitsuNation

Very true.

7. RhadeConstantin

1 on 1 yes. but what if there had been someone else with him who might have attacked you when you took him down and obtained a dominant position? Also just out of curiosity but if the guy attacked your brother (in law) wouldn't the girl he was attacking him over be your sister?

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

and rape choked him

The worst name for a martial arts technique there has ever been. "Crack head control" is bad enough but rape choke!?!?

9. Jiu JitsuNation

His girl friend. Now the other situation i was in involved several people. Threw the first guy and landed on top of him where the rest of the guys piled on me. Being very athletic and intelligent I got to my feet. Threw the guy trying to choke me from behind turned and threw the next guy on his face and then everyone backed up. After that I was allowed to go to my vehicle and leave with just scraps on my elbow from being on the concrete and a bloody lip. They were taking shots at me. I just kept moving didn't hesitate on anything.

Google rape choke it comes up.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Google rape choke it comes up.

I know man. Just a horrible name though.

Hand choke?
    Arc choke?
    Web choke?
    Open hand choke?
    Grab choke?
    Grip choke?

All better IMHO.

(PS) Oh and...you have a great resume Cliff. Great to have you on board.

11. Jiu JitsuNation

True. L choke for the kids!

12. RhadeConstantin

I'm slightly confused here. please bear with me. so.. some guy got aggressive with your brother in law because of his girlfriend. so basically you're brother in law hit on someone's girlfriend and you defended him? anyway leaving that aside. let's see if I can get the facts straight here
    1)you threw a guy, landed on him
    2) everyone piled on you most probably stomping or kicking though maybe they just jumped on you
    3) you somehow managed to stand up even with all the guys who piled on you
    4) threw a guy behind you who was trying to choke you. ( while you're throwing him the others are still attacking you)
    5) you then threw another guy on his face( youre still being attacked while you do this)
    6) everyone backs off.
    wow. correct me if I'm wrong but this doesn't seem very plausible. getting up when you're on the ground and several people are kicking and stomping you or at the very least tackling you, is quite unlikely unless these people are really small.
    throwing three people when you are being attacked by multiples also seems quite unlikely. sounds more like something out a jet lee film

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Heh...nice welcome to someone with genuine martial arts knowledge.

I can easily see how Cliff's scenario played out. RhadeConstantin, you are anomaly hunting to try and make a point.

Hip throw the first guy and fall on him.
    Get piled on.
    Take some hits.
    Stand up with some doofus drapped around your neck.
    Shoulder throw him.
    Get punched in the chops.
    Cover and clinch.
    Snap him face down to the deck.
    Everyone backs off because they don't want to fight someone that can throw people while being laid into, becasue essentially people that fight in groups are cowards.

14. Jiu JitsuNation

Well I'm a professional. I won the 2008 pan ams. I'm not small myself One guy was my size. The guy on my back. The other two were smaller. Also none of them knew what they were doing. I'm just giving you facts. I know how it sounds.
    And yes they were still attacking. With the adrenaline going and the feeling of desperation just made me respond. Doesn't matter if you believe it. About 75 people witnessed it.

The guy came out of a sports bar and grabbed my in laws girl and said who you waitin on sweetheart. Of course my bro overreacted and I just stepped in. And these are 2 different situations we are talking about.

15. Jiu JitsuNation

Yes sir your image of these guys is accurate.

16. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Why does it matter? In the examples he gave, BJJ clearly helped him. Why invent scenarios just to say "aaah, but what if..." to prove it doesn't work all the time?
    We know there are a million "What if" scenarios, but this applies to EVERY martial art. Focus on what BJJ can do, not what it can't.

17. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

I agree with Tartoviski
    no martial art system will prepare you for every possible situation. only make you better equiped then if you didnt. and in my opinon the multiple oppoenents arguments and weapons arguments are hit on too much. as much as its claimed there is no martial art that will prepare you for being jumped by 10-15 guys. there are helpful tactics, and true some might get lucky and fight enough too escape, but this isnt something i would ever expect too be able to do. also as said in the essence of Brazilian jiu jutsu by relson gracie. no rule dictates that a bjjer has to take the fight to the ground. a simple throw or takedown and run will do just fine in many cases. subsequently using your BJJ you cand decide where this fight stays.

as for weapons. not many bjj schools do, but some like gracie academy torrence. teach weapon defence classes as well. like from knife, and stick attacks. I find with weapons training, its not so much who has weapon defense class but alot more of who teachings are based in reality is the hard part.

i went to inner city schools, and saw my hand of street fights. even a gang fight, in the parking lot of class. UFC 1-4 seemed about as bad as any streetfight i ever seen. and we all know what style prevailed.

18. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

I think this is the key point. I love the "Try your guard on concrete mofo, let's see how tough you are then" attitude you see a lot. Um. No. I'd much rather try a takedown, land a few punches and leg it quite frankly!

19. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

I've never had to do it but its relatively simple. Double leg takedown, sit on his chest, feed him his teeth.

20. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Which would be my point - That there are a lot of things you can use BJJ for, it doesn't have to be jumping guard in a carpark.
    TBH this thread is a moot point for me anyway. The changes of me getting into a streetfight are statistically very low. Thank Dawkins.