Bjj cross guard and no gi k guard

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by icefield, Apr 23, 2020.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

So are the cross guard and the K guard essentially the same position but one in the gi and one not?

Dead_pool likes this.
  2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

That's a really good way of thinking about it, my limited cross guard skills are generally at foot range, whereas K guard I thought was more shin/knee range, but I don't really use either often though....

icefield likes this.
  3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I've seen both played with the undertook on the leg and on the side hips up, I've seen the cross guard way more inverted but then the k guard I've seen is by big lads who can't invert lol
    Both seem to have the bottom leg near the leg undertook angled down with the knee sliding between the opponent's legs which is the classic DeathSquad and TriStar entry to the 411 from bottom guard which was why I wondered if they were similar

axelb, Dead_pool and Mushroom like this.
  4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I'm not familiar with either, so when I looked it up and saw all the cross guard inverting, my back immediately said "no thank you" :D:oops:

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Yep it's not so.much the inverting I'm after as entries to leglocks coming off the leg underhook and the inside knee sliding down between the opponent's legs from the k control
    Never played the cross guard so was seeing if anyone who had had seen the similarities

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  6. Kori The Grappler

Kori The Grappler New Member

Look up the Miyao bros ADCC runs and Lachlan Giles last ADCC run. Awesome use of the k-guard but using finger grips instead of a gable grip.