BJJ Basics class?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Obi Wan Shinobi, May 6, 2017.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Which ones, the ones I have of my grappling comps you mean that I have posted a few times , I'll post them again if you want to post yours as well, or you can ask the guys from here who I trained with at one of the map meets how I train,

So there you go I'll post two of my videos again if you agree to post yours :hat:

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

You are just an attention seeker

3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Yep, I've seen many of them.

Have you seen any of Icefield's?

Me posting videos of my training in order to not be thought less of by a bunch of people I've never met, but talk to on the internet, sounds like a pathetic reason to do so, if I'm being honest.

If I was trying to promote a public club, that would be different.

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

But it isnt pathetic to make close to 9000 posts trying to convince people you know what you are on about without posting a single clip of how or what you train?

6. David Harrison

I'm not here to convince anyone of anything.

I'm here to talk to other martial artists from different perspectives.

I'm sorry if it upsets you, but I'm not trying to impress you, or anyone else on MAP (I think I'm succeeding ;) ).

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

You seem to talk at rather than too, don't upset me I'm just fascinated that you care enough to post over and over on topics about training but won't post a single clip to back an point you make up,

8. David Harrison

I'm glad to be a fascination to you :)

I don't have a Facebook account, I don't post videos of myself playing guitar or doing 3D work, my social media life is contained in a handful of forums and this is the only one I use my real name for. I'm a private person.

Is the deal that only people who post video have the right to post?

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

This much is true.....

10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

:evil: and whilst Hannibal probably hasn't seen any of my clips we tend to agree on enough things (wing chun and scalf hold aside ) as to not really cause him to question how I train (I hope!)

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

No but people who post clips, or come from a known lineage tend to be listened too more, for example when two people say they know grappling and neither will post clips, but one comes from a known lineage say Gracie barra and whose posts read true and correct to those that have done grappling, the other one wont post where or what grappling they have done and whose posts scream of no real experience, who would you listen to out of the above on a grappling forum??

We don't tend to ask for video evidence from those we know or know how and who they train with, but if you are an unknown quantity who won't post anything to back p what or how they train...well would you listen to them and give an equal weight to what they say??

12. Hannibal

Quite the opposite! I consider our differences of opinion the "crunchy or smooth" varietyof discussion!

13. David Harrison

I'm not looking for equal weight, I'm just waiting for someone to discuss the points I've made. So far everyone in this thread has either ignored or not understood them, with the notable exception of Hannibal, who's post about strength being skill as well as attribute was completely in line with what I've been attempting to describe.

I'd appreciate it if you could give some quotes where I've "screamed no real experience". I don't believe I've mentioned anything about specific grappling techniques, or technical approach to practice at all, in this thread.

Would I get anywhere in a submission tournament? Nope, because that's not what I train for, my emphasis is more on standup and standing grappling. Would I learn a lot from people who do? Of course, because it is their speciality and they train for it. Does this have anything to with my points about physiology in this thread? I don't see how it does. :dunno:

14. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

David has the right to his privacy and it is not compulsory to share or create videos (I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure his style doesn't allow for it too).

At the same time it can prove difficult when discussing the intricacies of martial arts, to describe or get your point across without visual aids. Martial arts often need to be shown or felt to help be understood.

15. David Harrison

Very true, it can be like trying to describe colours :)

Thing is, this is really just about anatomy. Good technique doesn't just exist above the neck; it is based on a host of physiological systems that run throughout the body. These systems improve function with practice, decline without practice, and deteriorate with age. The more you train the attributes of coordination, kinaesthetic sense, proprioception et al, not only are you able to perform technique more efficiently, you can also learn technique more efficiently.

Like you say though, it's a feeling, not a cerebral thing. Which is my point - you can't separate the mind from the body in any physical endeavour.

Man, it's times like this that I wish Mangosteen was still around, he was always good for a conversation like this. :whistle:

16. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I didn't bother with your comments because it's as you said to me semantics, those that train grappling tend to see attributes as something you can build outside of training , strength, cardio, flexibility etc can these be trained via direct training as well obviously but also build more effectively indirectly via other means, and differentiate it from skills build directly through training. Which is why Hannibal said try bjj, you realise quite quickly the difference between what you need to and can train outside practice, and what you can't, and what you can influence yourself and can't, and the smoothness developed over time is less a direct attribute than skill learned through time on the mat

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  17. icefield

icefield Valued Member

You would have thought someone that concerned with privacy wouldn't use there own name, or post a link to their club in their signature

18. Hannibal

Or as Pedro Rizzo said - "Runners run, swimmers swim, fighters fight" :)

19. David Harrison

Well, now we're getting into Schmidt's schema theory. The big difference between those examples is that they are dealing with very different somatosensory input.

EDIT: only the above was in reply to your post, Hannibal :)

I'm kind of shocked how readily people in MA are ready to engage with research when it comes to S&C, but, if this thread is anything to go by, roundly reject it when it comes to motor skill acquisition.

Anyway, I was going to do a science dump, but to be honest I'm thinking icefield is deliberately acting dumb to troll me, so I can't really be bothered to continue. Plus I've been saved by an informed PM on the subject, so I've had my closure :)

I'll just leave this here (and thanks to SWC Sifu Ben for introducing me to the quote when he had it in his sig :) ):

“If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing.”

- W. Edwards Deming

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  20. Hannibal

The reason martial artists (generally and specifically in this thread) tend to shut down a little is because nodding your head won't rock the boat - the ONLY way to get better is to "train - eat - sleep - repeat" as the slightly trite adage has it....given that there is a consistently demonstrable success displayed at the end by the style being discussed it is safe to say their methodology works, so understanding WHY is not really beneficial

I can drive - actually quite well too - but have ZERO idea what happens when the engine starts; it might as well be sorcery