Bjj and weight training

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Rmjim, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Rmjim

Rmjim Member

If this is the wrong area to post this I apologize. I am a type two diabetic who has been lifting weights since October 2017. I have followed a three day a week program Similar to starting strength. I had to take a month off due to vacation and my wife having surgery. There is a local bjj school that offers classes 3 days a week for 2 hours each class. After My recent doctor visit he told me I need to focus on getting my A1 C down so I’m going to take the Bjj classes to help with exercise. I’m also focusing on my diet. My question is what type of workout would you recommend weight training wise that will allow me to recover between sessions. I have been basically doing heavy x5 programs and had stalled out before I took time off with 1 rm of my 275 body weight in squat and deadlift. I really want to be able to recover between bjj sessions and weight training.

2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

That depends on what day's your bjj classes are on, how spread out they are?

If you're just starting at bjj then I would recommend doing a deload week at the least so that you can gauge how your body will cope with both.

It also depends what your goals are? You'll have to accept that gains will progress to a degree and stall quicker if you are doing both.

Training any marital art on the same day after lifting , or even the day after you have to expect a limitation to what you can put in due to soreness/ fatigue from lifting.

If your focus is bjj first and lifting secondary, then lifting after, or the day after class.
    The more rest days you can fit between lifting and class, the better.

If your classes are closer together then you could do more lifting focus if you have more days to rest, and a lighter lifting on a day after class.

BJJ isn't a style that you can isolate a particular body group to work on as you will use most of your body.

icefield likes this.
  3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

All training puts stress on the body the body doesn't care if its bjj or weight training all it cares about is the fact you are putting stress on it and the CNS system.

If you are new to bjj and are going to be training 6hrs a week that will create tremendous stress the body will have to cope with and get used to

It would probably be best to drop weights to one day a week or even all together whilst you get used to bjj and add it back in slowly as you get experienced in bjj.

Also remember the larger you are and the more weight you carry the harder recovery is this also has to be factored in

nasd90 and axelb like this.
  4. Rmjim

Rmjim Member

If this is the wrong area to post this I apologize. I am a type two diabetic who has been lifting weights since October 2017. I have followed a three day a week program Similar to starting strength. I had to take a month off due to vacation and my wife having surgery. There is a local bjj school that offers classes 3 days a week for 2 hours each class. After My recent doctor visit he told me I need to focus on getting my A1 C down so I’m going to take the Bjj classes to help with exercise. I’m also focusing on my diet. My question is what type of workout would you recommend weight training wise that will allow me to recover between sessions. I have been basically doing heavy x5 programs and had stalled out before I took time off with 1 rm of my 275 body weight in squat and deadlift. I really want to be able to recover between bjj sessions and weight training.

5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

nasd90 and Dead_pool like this.
  6. Rmjim

Rmjim Member

I posted in weight training and didn’t get much of a response. Thought I’d get a more dedicated bjj take on it.

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I've haven't lifted heavy since I trained BJJ. As the weights would wear me out via the DOMS the day after. If I had a heavy chest day, my fingers and triceps would be numbing and aching. Grips would be non existant, and needing to use some arm strength for certain positions, or throws and especially escapes in sparring...not good.

Then again, I am stupid and do it anyway to get some challenge in.

axelb likes this.
  8. Omicron

Omicron is around.

As others have said, it's important to have realistic expectations and to realize that adding BJJ into the mix will affect your lifting progress. Personally I found it quite difficult to do both SS type programs and multiple BJJ classes per week...my lifting progress stalled and I'd often perform at less than 100% when sparring due to fatigue from weight training. You might consider looking into more intermediate level lifting programs that change up the volume a bit; if you're stalling out on SS this could be a good idea anyway, BJJ classes or no. I found it easier to balance weight training and BJJ with programs like Wendler's 5/3/1, which is very customizable and should allow you some more leeway. If you want to stick to a more linear progression like SS but with less volume, you could also consider something like Greyskull LP. Or, nix the barbell altogether and get into more functional training (e.g. kettlebells).

Regardless of what program you settle on, if you're just starting with BJJ your body is likely going to be pretty destroyed from new movements and skills to learn. Be very careful if you intend to continue on with heavy lifts, particularly squats and deadlifts, as your body will be more stressed/fatigued than usual, which can be a recipe for injury. Definitely plan for lower weights/more rest days, especially when you're just starting out.

axelb likes this.
  9. Mushroom

Further example. I did 40kg DB flat bench sets, 35kg DB Incline and variations of angles for the cable crossovers and then I did a 1hr beginner level BJJ class.
    Ironically we were doing side control escape drills and as soon as I laid down flat on my back, I was done, stuck like a capsized turtle. Guy on top weighed 85kg and the entire time thinking...."I could've benched pressed you"

axelb likes this.
  10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

So you had to rely on good technique?

:)

Mushroom, Hannibal and axelb like this.
  11. Mushroom

Concept not understood. :p

Dead_pool likes this.
  12. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod note: Missed this until now. Please be aware that cross posting is not allowed. Other thread merged into this one. But, Rmjim, please ask a mod to move thread rather than cross post. Thanks!

nasd90 likes this.