BJJ and severe myopia

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by wbanonymous, Apr 26, 2022.

1. wbanonymous

wbanonymous New Member

Hey so I am a white belt with -11 myopia in both eyes, and glaucoma.
    I use contact lens to roll, never had any problem.
    But my problem is that I have a higher risk of retinal detachment due to my high myopia.. I dont know how much higher but yeah..
    My doctor said that BJJ should be fine but that fingers in the eye and hits to the eye are still dangerous to me because of my condition
    I even thought about using sport goggles.. but I dont know, I just dont feel them
    What do you guys think about this? I am already in love with BJJ.. I really want to be a black belt one day
    Anyone here with extremely high myopia doing BJJ?

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Greetings and welcome to MAP,

I don't have your condition. But this seems like a no brainer to me. If goggles make doing what you love safe, so you don't suffer retinal detachment, then wear goggles.

Just "not feeling them" seems like, frankly, a very poor reason to forgo them. They are a tool to enable you to pursue doing what you want safely. They should be your friend!

axelb and David Harrison like this.
  3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I would see why not, some wear ear guards and although I've never trained with someone wearing sports goggles, I'm sure you could make it work depending on how they fit when rolling and doing anything where you use you head to setup things.

If you are high risk then it seems like a logical choice.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

axelb and aaradia like this.