bjj and middle age dudes

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Giovanni, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

2. mattt

mattt Valued Member

3. Giovanni

lol. similar industry. i manage projects for a software engineering company, specializing in the financial industry. we build exchanges, high-frequency and algorithmic trading, retail trading systems, back-office. pretty much the gamut for electronic trading.

no exactly a testosterone fueled day at the office. bjj at lunch helps though.

4. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I used to work with CQG and NYSE so I know where your coming from. Though I would say an actual Wall St banker has a pretty macho fueled world.

We actually had a Secretary of State join our lunchtime class today...

5. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Very nice article... makes you want to take up BJJ.

6. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

As a younger BJJer, I always try to pay close attention to the pace, tempo and aggression that middle age and older fellows set. Some of them are quite delicate and others can tear me apart. One bent me into a pretzel and said "Yeah, after I beat cancer, everything seems so damn easy." :]

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

37 isn't middle age.

8. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

It is, Van Zandt. Average life expectation 75 ... middle age just at 37!!! :Angel:

9. Giovanni

i roll with a 52 year old purple belt. he's by far the strongest guy at my gym. no joke. he does 1000+ crunches per day, for example. i wish i was joking.

sure, we can debate the efficacy of doing that many crunches per day. but still, the guy's ridiculous. sometimes, we'll meet at 6 am on fridays to roll, just the two of us. he'll already be at the gym for 2 hours lifting and running on the treadmill beforehand.

10. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

80.75 in my country. Also "Life expectancy" is based on the age of people dying now. Given that it's been going steadily upwards for my entire life (it was 71 when I was born) I can justifiably expect to last quite a bit longer.

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

You won't be saying that when you are 37. :(