Bjj and Judo differences?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Adam, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Adam

Adam New Member

What are the differences between bjj and judo? I know a little about judo but nothing of bjj. Can you punch and kick too?

2. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

Not in BJJ sport competition, you can not strike.
    However they do teach some striking, but very little i think.

3. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Judo in general is throws from on your feet. Some Judo clubs incorporate some ground work as well.

BJJ is all ground-work with some takedowns from stand up.

There's no striking in either of them afaik.

4. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

-There is a lot of similarity between BJJ and pre-Olympic judo(1964). Both as sport and when they are taught as combat/self -defense systems(rare these days).

5. Adam

Adam New Member

Ah. Thank you for your answers.

6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

re: difference between bjj and judo

My understanding is that there are two branches of judo: sport competition, and the original "pure" version. Sport judo has no strikes. The emphasis is on throws, because that's where you get the big points in competition. The original judo included a small number of strikes, defenses against all sorts of attacks including weapon attacks, and a much more balanced approach to fighting. It wasn't all throws.

BJJ has three branches: sport jujitsu, NHB competition, and the original street fighting version. In sport JJ strikes are not allowed. The rules favor ground submissions over throws, which is just the opposite of judo. In NHB competitions strikes are allowed but the rules vary with each competition. The original (street fighting) version of BJJ does teach punching and kicking, and defenses thereto, but it's mostly close-range striking. The original BJJ also includes defenses against weapons. Hey, it's Japanese JJ with an emphasis on ground fighting, just like the Gracies say.