BJJ and JJJ differences ?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by MingTheMerciles, Oct 6, 2006.

1. MingTheMerciles

MingTheMerciles Valued Member

May I know their differences , and it sound to me that BJJ gain more popularity and credit to compare JJJ .

Anyway I told myself that I will drop Aikido ( reason because they are descendent of JJJ , before I even took Aikido , I already told myself that as soon as I found BJJ or JJJ , i will drop Aikido and come over to BJJ or JJJ ) as soon as found a JJJ or BJJ school but there is none in my country , so I am about to move to north america as soon as I finish my national service so I will have much higher chances of finding them there .

2. Cloud9

Cloud9 Valued Member

BJJ 80% on the ground, 20% standing
    JJJ 70% standing, 30% on the ground

3. MingTheMerciles

Other than that is there any more differences ?

Do JJJ prove effective in self-defence compare to BJJ ?

4. Tomas_Drgon

Tomas_Drgon Valued Member

The bigest diference by far is alive rolling/sparring.
    BJJ standards are pretty high in those terms and pretty uniform (there is virtually NO BJJ club without live sparring and without open mats). Having said that, there are some really good JJJ clubs that are as live as BJJ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Newton).

Tomas

5. Agutrot-

Agutrot- Jack of all Trades

JJJ was invented for use in combat wearing a full suit of armor. It isn't as internal as BJJ, for example in JJJ you don't put in hooks for a RNC because you won't be able to stand up and get away if another attacker comes.

6. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

I think there are several causes for differences between the two types. The first and biggest is that BJJ takes the concept of training alive from Kodokan Judo, feeling that it is better to learn how to apply techniques against a resisting opponent rather than against one that is passive. For this reason BJJ contains no moves that can't be controlled.

The other thing was Japanese systems evolved on the medieval battlefield. Groundfighting only occured out of necessity (as opposed to choice) and so Ju Jutsu lacks the 'positional hierarchy'. By contrast the Brazilian stuff was developed from vale tudo matches (against only a single opponent).

7. Cloud9

Cloud9 Valued Member

What do you hope to accomplish?

If you're training for 1x1 competitions, matches, sports type activities and/or expect that you might run into trouble against a single opponent at beaches, parks, etc. then go take up some BJJ.

If you're training for self defense and expect that you'd be in situations where multiple opponents may come into play ie. bars, soccer games, crowded venues, etc. then you may want to consider JJJ.

8. MingTheMerciles

Both are full-contact right ?

They both sound pretty full contact . I guess I will try to train both but I only manage found a JJJ school .

Was pretty impress with Gracie Ju jitsu defeating many style such as Mantis Kung fu , Kenpo , Hapkido and such . But problem is that , all the so call expert matial artist that he had beaten up look like a bunch of wannabes lol .

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  9. Cloud9

Cloud9 Valued Member

Not sure how you're defining full contact, but in both you train with a resisting opponent (sparring).

I know times have changed, but back when I did Shorin-ryu we did full contact sparring with open finger gloves and groin protector. Younger kids (under 14-15) wore head/foot gear and shin guards (the girls/women wore chest protectors). You'd have to visit your school and see how they spar.

I suspect that it'll be open finger gloves, and groin protector at a minimum. Some schools do not train at full speed, and it's more of a light-medium contact. I've never seen no contact JJJ, but I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

10. MingTheMerciles

I prefer to have a chance train again a resisting oppenents , not a live dummy who just stand there waiting to get hit

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Depends what you call "full contact" - you don't actually break your opponent's arms in either style.

12. Sever

Sever Valued Member

JJJ is such a broad term these days that clubs will vary hugely, even under the same style banner and even within the same organisation. I've seen some JJJ clubs that are basically MMA with some HAOV defences thrown in, some which are very traditional and still train like they're wearing armour and some which are midway between the two. Some won't train against resisting opponents, won't spar and will throw all the "too deadly for the ring" crap into any possible conversation, some will throw down at a moment's notice, you'll just have to go along to the class and see what you're getting.
    The main thing about JJJ vs BJJ is that BJJ clubs are more consistant in their standards whereas JJJ ones can vary greatly
    Maybe not in your pansy class, n00b! Right now I've got two broken arms and had one of my ACL's popped from training and I STILL won. H4rdk0r3! :D (the previous statement is a joke before anyone misses the point)

13. MingTheMerciles

Is it true that both style of Jujitsu are similar to Judo but have more stuff to learn compare to Judo ?

14. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Going for the REALLY simplified version: JJJ is the root of judo, where BJJ is derived largely FROM judo. Like I say, that's seriously simplified
    JJJ has all the stuff you won't see in judo like striking, weapons work, pressure points, leglocks, banned throws etc (though again, how much time you'll spend on these will vary greatly from class to class)
    BJJ also has striking and leglocks etc, but it's largely grappling-based

15. MingTheMerciles

Thank , you guys really gave me a lot of information .

I say I will take both of them .

16. Cloud9

Cloud9 Valued Member

Well dang! If we knew that was an option this thread would be over! :D

17. MingTheMerciles

No , you tell me what is Ju Jitsu . Its not so famous in my country , sure as hell , really famous in N.America .

Right here , there are million of Chinese Kung fu , Tai Chi and Tae Kwan Do Aikido lesson . But almost none when it come to Kendo ( I am currently training in for 4 years ) , Judo and JuJitsu ( at least one classical but zero Brazillian )

18. Sever

Sever Valued Member

JJJ and BJJ complement each other very well as do JJJ and judo. If you're set on doing BJJ or want to do both JJJ and BJJ, judo will cover for it very well

19. Cloud9

Cloud9 Valued Member

Ming, understand what you're saying, but if you're taking both, there's no choice that has to be made between them.

20. MingTheMerciles

I prefer to hear from expierience person or try doing it myself rather than reading it from the textbooks . Well , to be honest , so far I had not yet been successful in any unarmed martial art . The only sport I am successful with is Archery and Kendo . Aikido is great but somehow it lack some full contact and competitiveness which I demand . So that why I am looking to Judo , JJJ and BJJ .

Well , most of the TKD and Karate instructor here seem a little fake and charlatan . I am doing bodybuilding ( 6' and 215 lbs ) right now and i think Judo and Jujitsu are great unarm martial art that can be fully utillise for a heavy weight like me .