BJ Penn vs GSP

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by potlucky10, Feb 13, 2009.

1. potlucky10

potlucky10 Valued Member

I know I'm two weeks late but any comments on the BJ Penn & GSP fight?

2. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

I'm shocked, I thought BJ would give him a good fight, though I did think GSP would win. I guess GSP is just that much better since they last fought.

I hope BJ continues to train hard and defends his lightweight belt, I've a nasty feeling he's going to retire or something.

3. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

See my avatar for further details :D

4. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

he really has improved a lot. Mostly in his wrestling. One thing i admire about him is the fact that he is honest with himself about the holes in his game. Every time you watch him fight he gets better. We could all learn a lesson from him.

BJ's bro did the right thing. No point in watching your brother get mauled for another round.

5. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

Hmmm, I think I have to make myself a panda skin rug...

6. Errrm

Errrm Valued Member

I think at the moment GSP is only likely to get beat my a single good/lucky strike. He is good enough standing to stand and strike against anyone in the world, he is a black belt in BJJ and his guard passing skills were brilliant (although he never seems to go for submissions prefering to use the skills to dominate position and use strikes) and he his wrestling seems to be just about better than anyone else (around his weight division) so if he is against a great stiker he can take the fight to the ground and against a great ground fighter he can keep it standing. Although given that he is amazing at everything he just uses his wrestling skills to allow him to control the fight and keep it varied between rounds.

The fight was really impressive, I'm looking forward to seeing him against Silva but I think GSPs wrestling skills will again be the difference.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I've just got a copy of this card to watch tonight.
    I'll shall deliver my verdict then.

8. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Won't take long to deliberate :evil:

9. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

GSP killed it. I wanted him to win and expected him to but I was dissapointed by BJ. I hadn't watched him fight before i heard the card so i pulled up youtube clips and so on. That fight didnt look good to me

10. Errrm

Errrm Valued Member

Same here, BJ Penn just got out classed though.

11. GrappleorWrestle

GrappleorWrestle Valued Member

I couldn't believe the way the fight turned out. Everyone thought this would be a fight that you would talk about forever. I know I was wishing for a fight that would be one to remember. I guess I got my wish...

While not on the BJ bandwagon I hope he recovers enough to train properly for his title defense against Kenflo.

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

With the benefit of hindsight GSP sure looked like a greasy bitch to me.
    Clearly Penn could not employ a high guard at all. Is this because of GSP's superior posture and forward pressure or him being covered in sweat or is it because his corner rubbed vaseline into his shoulders and traps?

That said I don't think a different result would have happened without the dodgy face/body rubbing. The fight may have played out slightly differently (maybe GSP defending a sub or two) but he would have smashed him either way.

On a related note...I'm warming to Machida. I like his style.
    Jon Jones is very entertaining. I'll keep an eye out for him. I worry about his skinny legs though.
    And Kim was robbed...no way did Karo win that fight. I love Karo but he didn't win that night.

13. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I really enjoyed watching Jon Jones fight, I too worried about his skinny legs. I agree with Karo fight too, Kim seemed to outclass him for most of it.

Machida looks very cool and calm, I think his style will catch a lot of fighters out.

14. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

PASmith, I agree on all accounts

15. GrappleorWrestle

GrappleorWrestle Valued Member

If BJ had ever had a submission victory from his back I may have been able to agree with accusing GSP of greasing.

Well since Karo tested positive for a few substances we could see the dicison overturned into a NC. I would be happy with that, Dong Hyun was great.

What's a scary thought is Machida is just now starting to train for power. In a recent interview he stated this was the first time (for the Silva fight) that he had ever trained for power. Machida with power? Scary indeed.