Bit of Infor please?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Geordie Boy, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

HI,

I currently train in Muay Thai, and Boxing. I want to try a new martial art with some standing grappling and ground work. There is a seven stars praying mantis school nearby. I know briefly that this style encompases alot of standing grappling/ locking techniques. Is this right? Is there any ground work? Can you give me a brief insight in to the system?

Also Is Chin Na? the Kung Fu system of Grapplling etc.

Many Thanks

Paul

2. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Er, I don't get it Paul. You train in Muay Thai but you don't do any Standing Grappling/ Neck wrestling/ Clinchwork? What exactly are you learning? Grappling is fundamental to Muay Thai, without it, it's just K-1 style Kickboxing.

Chin Na is the System of Locking and Seizing, a Grappling Based system, that isn't totally Grappling orientated (Ie True Chin Na has strikes, PPs etc)

For ease of reference take a look at the Chin Na article here:
    http://www.martialartsadvice.com/cat.php?cat=5

There is, to my knowledge, only one UK based organisation teaching it, as a seperate art and they are in the Midlands. Otherwise you'll learn it, as part of other systems, ie Within Eagle Claw, Praying Mantis, Tai Chi Chuan, Ba Gua, White Crane etc etc.

In it's true form, as a seperate entity, it is a relatively complete system and very pragmatic.

The Grappling in Mantis systems isn't what normally comes to mind, when you think Grappling.

I mean, it's not like Wrestling, Bjj or Judo, for ease of simplicity it's best described as jerking, off-balancing, sticking to, locking and/or re-directing, there is some Grabbing and taking hold, but it's a very specific form of 'Grappling'-not what westerners general describe as being 'Grappling'

I've never seen much in the way of Groundwork in any Praying Mantis systems, but somewhere, perhaps and if it is, it won't be BJJ style Groundwork, that's for sure, unless they are a very progressive school.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2004
  3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Find a MMA school that mixes standup, clinch and ground.

There are quite a few in your area.

4. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

Cheers Guys,

Sokklab, Sorry i didn't explain it well enough ,when i meant standing grappling, i meant locking techniques- arm locks etc, not the clinch work-yes we do that.
    Theres no Jujitsu schools etc near me - but im sure ill find something.

Thanks Once again.