Bill "Superfoot" Wallace

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Bill "Superfoot" Wallace was lucky enough this weekend to meet and train with martial arts legend @Smitfire.

upload_2021-10-11_16-37-35.jpeg

Smitfire was inducted into the Martial Arts Hall of Fame for, as he puts it, Just being an overall legend".

upload_2021-10-11_16-40-30.jpeg

Congratulations Bill on having your dreams come true.

Attached Files:

Mitlov, axelb, Mitch and 1 other person like this.
  2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Hahaha...I'm sure it will be one of Bill's fondest memories. Ended up having a 2 hour road trip with him too when we traveled to the awards. Talked about dogs, driving on the wrong side of the road with Jackie Chan and kicking trees. :)

axelb and Simon like this.
  3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

A picture of a martial arts legend.

Photobombed by Bill Wallace.

You beat me to posting this Simon! Congrats to Smitfire, a great training partner, martial artist, and one of life's good guys.

Though you do occasionally find him in some dodgy pubs in Nottingham...

axelb and Smitfire like this.
  4. old palden

old palden Valued Member

Yep-- if you want your training to lead to joint replacement surgery, Bill Wallace's methods are the way to go.

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Imagine having a martial artist you admire.

Imagine then that you get to attend a seminar with that person.

Then imagine striking up a friendship based on mutual respect.

Imagine to top it all off you were inducted into the hall of fame.

Then finally one of your friends posts about it on a martial arts discussion forum because they were pleased for you and because you were to humble to do it yourself.

Imagine then being someone who finds the thread a few years later and decides it would be better to diss Bill Wallace, rather than congratulate a member of the forum you joined because you love martial arts.

By the way, both guys are still training and still getting better.

6. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Would that be his 1973,1993,2013, present methods,or all of the above? Seriously no idea myself.

I'd like to belatedly congrat Smitfire as I missed this at the time.

Smitfire, axelb and Simon like this.
  7. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I can't remember where I heard it; but it came up again recently and still holds true.

You will never see a "hater" (particularly internet) doing better than you.

Good successful people build up other successful people.

This thread starts with 2 successful martial arts legends! People to aspire to if it want to become successful in Martial arts.

Belated Well done @Smitfire :cool:

Smitfire likes this.
  8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Heh...If I remember correctly, from Van Zandt once of this parish, Bill Wallace's hip replacements actually went really well due to the strength and flexibility he's cultivated over the years. He's still stretching and kicking.
    Given that "regular" people have joint problems it's no surprise someone with the miles in the body that Bill has (going right back to damaging his knee in Judo meaning he had to cultivate the side on one leg kicking he became famous for) has needed some joint operations.
    Not sure you can really put it all down to his training methods to be honest.

axelb likes this.
  9. old palden

old palden Valued Member

Bill Wallace is not "getting better", but there's nothing wrong with being an adoring fan. And of course his physical conditioning made his recovery from multiple joint replacements go better than the average person's would have, but his training methods, assuredly played a role in necessitating the surgeries to begin with. It's sad when people destroy their bodies via the practice of "self defense" systems, when it's unnecessary and (sad that I have to even say this) unwise to wreck yourself. But hey, to each his own.

10. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Each to his own only works if you have your own method.

All I've seen you do is post how something doesn't work, or is flawed. Maybe start a new thread and contribute with your favoured stretching and strength methods?

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I don't think Wallace's methods have ever been billed as a "self defence" system have they? It's a kicking method for combat sports (specifically full contact kickboxing without low kicks).
    Although I agree that damage to the body and training for self defence does create somewhat of a dichotomy. I've had plenty of injuries from martial arts (back, joints, concussion, stitches, etc) but not had any sort of physical violence to deal with in decades. And so, on the surface, my training in martial arts has been counterproductive. In an effort to learn how to stop myself being hurt I've ended up being hurt!
    Which is why I think martial arts does, and should, offer so much more than pure self defence. The other things I've gained from my training (a sense of self, confidence, experiences, meeting inspirational people, fitness, activity, etc) more than make up for the odd ache or pain.
    It's also why self defence should be so much more than physical skills and learning how to "fight". Fighting is hard and by its very nature damaging. Which is the very thing we're trying to avoid by learning about self defence.

axelb likes this.
  12. old palden

old palden Valued Member

I don't have "my own" method, I've instead practiced a variety of traditional methods, and evolved (or bowed to reality, if you prefer) as I've aged. Tae Kwon Do as a young man, Aikido as a slightly older man, and now, as an old man; Yang style tai chi and Cheng style ba gua, with ancillary chi gung practices.