Bike and cycling advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Rhythmkiller, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Hi Guys,

I am about to buy a bike i just seen on a website. It's a Dawse road bike. i have absolutely no idea about biking whatsoever but was gonna buy one to get to work and back. It's a 16 mile round trip and i figure an effective way to keep fit. Trouble is on the website it asks me what size i want. The options are 14.24w and 16/26w - What does this mean.

I just want a bike. My height is 5ft 10" if that makes a difference.

Any help much appreciated.

Baza

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I find sizing bikes is a nightmare. And the same size on two different bikes by different companies can feel really different.

My advice is to find the bike in a local shop, check/try the sizes and then order.

Not the best help and advice, I'm afraid, but that's what I'd do :)

3. mjl

mjl ITF Taekwon-Do (1st Dan)

For road bikes, if that's what it is, read this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/h/option/bikesizeguide

Don't know your budget but I have one of these and they're excellent:
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-road-bike-white-id_8239800.html

Here's a review: http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/road-bikes/btwin-triban-3-299-99

Note the red vs white is a different spec, the red (now discontinued) had carbon forks, well, this is fine until you ride over a pot hole. Anyway, I had no choice of colours so bought the white and it's very nice and as you'll read in the review it has a very good spec (other than the carbon forks it's just about similar to the red so the rest of the review is applicable)

4. Rhythmkiller

Thanks for the advice, that bike is a bit under my budget this is the one i'm about to buy

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Dawes-Espoir-3000-2013-Road-Bike_56600.htm

Baza

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

6. Rhythmkiller

Yeah it does help, problem is the webiste i am buying from doesn't state if it's measurements are in CM or " it's just a W. Think i'll buy the smallest and if it doesn't fit i'll send it back. They are all adult bikes anyway so logically the small would be average size, i think and the other one for the 6ft guys?????

Baza

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

If there are any plans to take the bike off road then maybe a medium size frame is a better option.

This makes it easier to throw the bike away should you fall off.

A larger frame is fine for just road use, as falling off shouldn't be an issue.

8. Mitch

Give them a bell Baza, might save you a lot of grief :)

I've just been getting into cycling a bit recently, loving it! Although ow, my arsebone :D

Mitch

9. Mitch

I can supply evidence to the contrary :D

Mitch

10. Rhythmkiller

I have literraly just phoned them and have changed my mind on this bike. The bloody thing doesn't come with pedals?????? apparently road bikes generally don't come with pedals so i'd have to buy them as well and they start at £50. When did cycling become so expensive. Looking at hybrid bikes now, they come with pedals you see and i've seen a couple Claude Butlers i like.

Baza

11. Mitch

It's to let you choose whether you want normal pedals, or the ones your shoes clip onto (and I think there are different types of those). You probably knew that, sorry :D

If you have time check out the Boardman bikes at Halfords, they get good write ups.

Mitch

12. Rhythmkiller

Someone just looked over my shoulder at work and told me that my company operates the cycle to work scheme. Just about to hand over £400 and all of a sudden i can save 42% on the purchase from the salary conributions woohoo!!!!

May the shopping commence.

Baza

13. Mitch

Excellent! :)

Mitch

14. Rhythmkiller

15. Mitch

Enjoy! Get some padded bike shorts too :D

Mitch

16. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

Most important piece of advice you'll ever need! Road bikes have very little give in them, it's amazing how bumpy roads are :eek:

Also if you enjoy a bit of competition and have a smartphone, download an app called strava. Has routes on it people have put in and then you can compare your times and speed to theirs on different sections of the route :D

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  17. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Esp if you cycle in a mankini

Agreed.

I would like to state that the consideration of extra gear should be as much as a concern for the cycle.

I know a bike store that allows the customer to try it for a week

There is a slight usage charge upon the grade of the return

18. Rhythmkiller

Yup wish i had thought of this before hand, my bum is in serious pain. I'll get these on Saturday.

I actually downloaded one called cycledroid which is pretty cool. Got my max speed to 31MPH yesterday on the way home. The tyres on the bike need changing though, they make you work very hard so need to get hybrid tyres. Winter will soon be upon us here in ther North so will keep with the chunkies for the moment i think.

Baza

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  19. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Sports direct do a pretty decent , and cheap , line of cycling clothes , including padded shorts.

20. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

You don't really want to be taking a road bike off road, you'll end up with popped tires sooner rather than later and a lot more often than is convenient.

Carrera, being Halford's own bikes, are surprisingly a decent brand taking into account their cost. I used to have one of their road bikes and it lasted me well until it was stolen.

Also, instead of getting padded shorts, which you'd need to change into to ride all the time for comfort, get a gel padded seat instead.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014