Bigreddog v3.0

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by bigreddog, Dec 19, 2014.

1. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Rather than wait for the new year and be that Jan 1st guy, time to start training now, and I have created a log to help me track it. Intention is to drop weight, prevent injuries and improve work capacity in conjunction with jujitsu training to compete next September (last competitive fight was in 2013, and I have been slacking since then)

Focus is to start with bodyweight work - I have a lot of it and it means I can train over Xmas. So expect to read me bitching about press-ups etc

2. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Cool! Good luck with your goals!

Are you looking to drop weight to be able to compete in a particular weight class, or are you looking to lose fat? (Although, these could well be the same thing ;))

Are there any kind of injuries you believe that you may be prone to?

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Good luck!

How much weight you thinking of dropping?

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Press ups I don't mind, it's squat thrusts and burpees that I really hate. Good luck!

5. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Looking to drop 20lbs (as first step lol) - already a heavyweight so not cutting for a class, just trying to be faster/healthier/more awesome. As far as injuries go, nothing specific - general joint concerns for the 'big-boned' individual

Step one - kickboxing tonight

6. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

That'll help but as someone's who's looking to drop 35 - 45 pounds, I can tell you from experience that activities alone just won't do. I know to a degree it depends on metabolism, but I've been trying to loose without dieting - just exercise - and after the first 15 pounds, the weight drop plateaued and to my chagrin, began climbing again.

a tolerance to exercise. Lucky me. Maybe its age, and of course common sense would also dictate, that healthy dietary changes are needed.

But you probably already know this.

7. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

I know, but the diet starts after the 25th ;)

8. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Yeah there's a thing called NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis), which is how many calories you burn through all the stuff that's NOT exercise. Essentially the theory is that your body increases NEAT when you exercise less and decreases NEAT when you exercise more, so that your body weight remains fairly stable...

So, sadly, to lose weight you pretty much have to eat less, and to gain weight you have to eat more. The exercise you do determines the type of weight lost/gained (lift weights = keep muscle/gain muscle). And get enough sleep too.

http://gregnuckols.com/2012/07/28/stop-worry-about-how-many-calories-you-burned/

9. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

So it warn't my imagination!