Big Weapons

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Kibbles, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Kibbles

Kibbles The Iron Bucket

Sorta.

I guess I'd call it a farm/wilderness utility knife. It's the right shape to substitute for most small knife uses and big enough to do some things people need a machete for.

This one is nice. Not sure how big it is though as no one was beside it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  2. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

OK, then..... back to my earlier thought. If this is rather much a "farm/wilderness utility knife" why make it a folder---especially such an unusually large folder. Anyone?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

3. Kibbles

Kibbles The Iron Bucket

Nice.

4. komuso

komuso Valued Member

Hi Bruce,

a total guess on my part, but maybe it folds just because it is a little more compact that way? Trudging through the bush can be annoying when bits of your kit poke out, like a great big knife maybe?

2 cents etc

paul

5. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Good thought.

Most of the survival, hunting and hiking knives I have seen are intended for utility and the rationale I have heard is that a fixed blade is more dependable for leverage.

I think your point is well taken if someone needs something they can carry into town since fixed blades tend to raise eye-brows in an urban setting. Still, it seems that the preponderance of MA blades tend to be fixed so I am really intrigued by this exception.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

6. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

I've used that line to good effect in bars before! Musashi's teachings are truly universal! :)

7. Gerlock

Gerlock Valued Member

I belive that if used properly, anything can be a weapon. Even if it is just as a distraction. But I only collect swords as a hobby, not for self defence. There is a saying it goes "He who lives by the sword, gets shot by those who don't"

8. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Heh.
    Your "claymore" is a wallhanger.

9. Gerlock

Gerlock Valued Member

Yeah it is, but unfortunetly I am not allowed to put anything in the walls where I live, against the lease, so it just leans against the wall instead.

10. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

You seem to be unaware that as a wallhanger it's not really a valid reference point when referring to weapons.

11. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

I reckon the location that a weapon is stored in has a strong relationship to its usefulness as a training tool. ;)

12. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Mine too. That and the Zweihander. Between the two of them you've got your large sword bases covered!

Best regards,

-Mark

13. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

That's one of my favourites. I like the parallel with the German stuff:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ainzFa7mHc&feature=player_detailpage#t=80s"]The Zornhau (Wrath Hew) - YouTube[/ame]

Same basic technique, but disengaging with using uncrossed hands rather than crossed.

Best regards,

-Mark

14. Gerlock

Gerlock Valued Member

Yeah, I just use them, I don't pay much attention to the details. I could just call it a long pointy heavy thingy.

15. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Nice,

I also like the ringen am schwert.

Some similar techniques are in one of the koryu I train in.

16. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Wheres the fun in that. I have a "katana" that's really just a broom handle with some black tape and a rubber gasket as the guard. People need to ease up...

17. Kogusoku

[​IMG]

18. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

:cry: I'm guessing you won't like my 10 ft spear that's made of PVC

19. Kogusoku

You must be psychic.

20. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

off topic post deleted