Big Weapons

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Kibbles, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Manga

Manga Moved On

TheNinjaMaster said - "Do not forget the Naginata sword! http://www.dhaninjastore.com/Miscell...ata_Sword.html"

Actual steam is coming out of my eyes right now.

2. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

3. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

That "naginata" is sorta what I had in mind when I suggested taking a traditional/historical item and "enhancing" it. I think its pretty apparent that item in the pics is pretty far-gone from a traditional naginata. But if you can do that with a naginata, another candidate would be the Japanese "Nagimaki". Just a thought.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Are you talking specifically about the ventenueve? If so, I haven't the slightest idea. It's an FMA curiosity, as far as I'm concerned.

5. Kibbles

Kibbles The Iron Bucket

It's really just for everything a typical knife is for. Butchering and preparing small animals for cooking; cutting shrubs and vines for medicine or whatever. I've seen them used for carving and first aid. Ya, it can be used to kill people but so can ice picks, baseball bats, and piano wire. I think the people who made them liked the design because it seemed elegant and you didn't need a separate item to cover the blade up.

6. Kibbles

Kibbles The Iron Bucket

But... but... but... I could have a personal arsenal... really I could ...

ap Oweyn : Better that you know FMA, some Spanish and not much Tagalog than my okay Tagalog, pathetic spanish and virtually no FMA. :cool:

And thanks so much for everyone's contributions. Keep them coming if you can!!!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  7. Bruce W Sims

Would it be too much of a reach, then, to characterize it as something of a "pocket knife" albeit of significantly larger proportions? Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

8. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

9. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

You like oversized weapons? check out Hikita Kage-ryu Odachijutsu.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsfNuzJYBng"]Hikita Kage-ryu Odachijutsu[/ame]

10. Bruce W Sims

Seems to me that the KAGE-RYU and these over-sized weapons pop-up quite a bit in the various sources that concern the WAKO. I wonder if there is truly any historic connection? Anyone have any such information? Thoughts?

BTW: That "Naginata" has a 440 Stainless Steel Blade. 'Nuff said.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  11. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

:cool:

12. ludde

ludde Valued Member

Its not the size, but the usage that count. :)

Edit:
    Reading your post it acured to me that that was your point...

13. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

This Musashi guy is he a MAP member then?

Not seen him post before....

:whistle:

14. Gerlock

Gerlock Valued Member

I have a claymore, I was hand made in Spain. It is heavy, but if you use it right you dont feel the weight, its mostly about keeping it moving using its momentem for your strikes...its also good for cutting long grass, thats how i practice with it. Its about 140cm long.

Attached Files:

• sw.jpg
      sw.jpg
      File size:
      45.9 KB
      Views:
  15. ScottUK

Oh, he posts - but maybe you are oblivious of his writings... ;)

16. Dean Winchester

Yeah I should probably find someone who can enlighten me.

:D

17. Dean Winchester

Your profile says you are "self taught" :rolleyes:

Maybe finding a teacher might be a good course of action.

18. Gerlock

Gerlock Valued Member

I live in a small country town, finding a teacher here is like smearing your genitals with fish paste, dangeling them in a pool of hungry piranhas and trying not to get bitten.

19. ScottUK

Funny that - that's how I found my first teacher.

20. Gerlock

Gerlock Valued Member

I will have to give it a try then, but I have no piranhas though so I am just going to have to use angry goldfish.