Big Steroid Scandal

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mark Cotton, May 17, 2007.

1. Mark Cotton

Mark Cotton Valued Member

Here in the US several top pro bodybuilders and their associates have been arressted recently as the DEA and the Albany, NY District Attorney's Office really crack down. This article is in reference to Steve Wienberger (IFBB Official and NY State NPC Chair) and his wife Bev Francis (former powerlifter and IFBB Pro Womens Bodybuilder). They have a very high profile gym which seemed to be a focal point.

I hope that this helps change things in bodybuilding and all sports.

Dial 911 for 'roids
    Long Island ER boss busted as drug supplier to top-jock gym
    BY TERI THOMPSON and T.J. QUINN
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
    Friday, May 11th 2007, 4:00 AM

Police raid Lowen's Pharmacy in Brooklyn on Wednesday. The director of a Long Island emergency room surrendered to police yesterday on charges that he supplied steroids to friends - making him the latest potential casualty in the ongoing Albany steroids investigation.

Oreste Joseph Bruni, 51, director of the emergency department at New Island Hospital in Bethpage, L.I., allegedly ordered steroids for the owners of Bev's Fitness in Syosset, L.I.

The walls of the gym rat's paradise are covered with photos of the gym's famous clients. But no one at the gym - which touts itself as a favorite workout spot for professional athletes, including NFL stars Keyshawn Johnson, Jumbo Elliott and Joe Klecko - has been named as a target of the probe.

Bruni, who refused to speak to the Daily News after he was released on his own recognizance, allegedly ordered steroids for gym co-owner Steve Weinberger, the husband of women's bodybuilding legend Bev Francis.

Bruni pleaded not guilty to felony diversion of a prescription drug in Nassau County District Court. His attorney Nancy Bartling called the charges "ridiculous" and said she expected them to be dismissed." Weinberger and Francis could not be reached for comment.

The ongoing probe, which originated with the Department of Health and the Albany District Attorney's office, has led to 21 indictments and seven guilty pleas related to an alleged Internet steroid scheme in which doctors wrote prescriptions for patients they had never examined.

Customers seeking steroids were able to access the Web sites of "anti-aging" centers, which would then pay the doctors to write prescriptions for the drugs, including human growth hormone and hardcore steroids.

Pharmacies all over the country that allegedly were part of the conspiracy would then fill those prescriptions. Bruni has not been accused of participating in the scam, but according to records he ordered the steroids for Weinberger and Francis from Applied Pharmacy in Mobile, Ala., one of several pharmacies being probed. DEA agents served a search warrant on Applied last year. The Nassau district attorney's office is prosecuting Bruni. But the Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement agents who sought charges - Mark Haskins and Rick Boettcher - are the same investigators who led raids on several Florida pharmacies and "anti-aging" clinics in February.

Professional baseball players Gary Matthews Jr., John Rocker, Jose Canseco and former heavyweight boxing champion Evander Holyfield were among the athletes who allegedly received drugs in the scam.

The investigators also seized about $200,000 in steroids and human growth hormone from a Brooklyn pharmacy Wednesday.

Photos on the Web site of Bev's Fitness show Weinberger and Francis with many famous athletes, including several who have connections to the BALCO steroid investigation. Bodybuilding champions Lee Haney and Ronnie Coleman were both BALCO clients, although neither was accused of receiving steroids from the San Francisco lab.

Another photo shows Weinberger and Francis with bodybuilder and fitness guru Milos Sarcev, who was part of the BALCO braintrust that developed a plan to make sprinter Tim Montgomery the fastest man in the world.

2. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Not exactly an article per se, so will find a better home and broader discussion here.

3. doc97

doc97 Valued Member

Bev Francis is SCAREY huge. Especially back in her competition days, kind of makes you wonder, hmmm you think she was taking steroids?? :D

4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I wonder what made them think of her?

[​IMG]

5. Mark Cotton

She looks nothing like that now. I feel bad for her only because she was always nice to my kids whenever I was judging an NPC event and I dragged them along.

6. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

In a good way or a bad way? I always wonder what female bodybuilders look like after they stop competing.

7. Mark Cotton

She looks like an average person. Fit, but normal.

8. Ad McG

Same as anyone who comes off the roids. The ones who abused a load of GH will keep their big heads though :D

9. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

jay cutler
    ronnie coleman
    gunter [font=arial,sans-serif][size=-1]Schlierkamp[/size][/font]
    markus ruhl
    greg kovacs

people to keep an eye on as they age and stop bodybuilding.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2007
  10. Mark Cotton

Yep! The stuff is poison and people don't get it. I resigned as a judge from the NPC 2 years ago. Now I only judge for organizations that have strict testing and drug policies (PDI, OCB, NGA).

Funny...The NPC just tried to get me back. They sent a guy I'm friendly with to try to "smooth things over". They know I left over the drug issue because it would not be addressed. A few days later this hits the papers.

Timing.

:woo:

11. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

I think it is Kovacs that should be pretty funny. Same with Coleman. GH Gut the size of a baby LOL

12. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

really.... they dont keep any of the gains?

i had a buddy who went on a cycle and gained 30 lbs.....but after the cycle was over he kept about 20 lbs ....he quite doing the stuff cause i really pressured him real hard and appealed to his sense of family (be around for your daughters wedding sort of thing).

can you keep any gains or his he still probably on and not telling.

13. Ad McG

Depends on the cycle, their genetics etc. Some people lose most of it, others lose less. If he's been at that weight for a while then keeping 20lbs of it would be expected. I'm no expert though.

14. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

If you use the roids to gain within your natural limits ie. if your mate could have gained 30Lb naturally if he tried then there is a chance to maintain the gains. Otherwise you just deflate hehe