Big 12

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by bodyshot, Nov 18, 2014.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Click on the link in jwt's sig.

2. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

3. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Looks pretty freakin cool, I notice it only takes sixmonths to get the BB, was curious about that, also who or what is the English Combat Karate Association, it sounds intresting, is it international and can you tell me how you are using shotokahn in a selfdefense system.

4. John Titchen

No, it takes six months to get black belt from the 1st Kyu grade. :Angel:
    The absolute minimum time to grade (assuming over the age of 18 at 1st Kyu is three years). At present there are only 3 clubs in the UK.

The British Combat Karate Association (to which we are affiliated) is part of the English Karate Federation (a branch of the World Karate Federation). All students are EKF registered.
    http://britishcombatkarate.co.uk

I can teach Shotokan (separately in two different clubs) as a self defence system because I teach a kata and bunkai based syllabus as opposed to a kihon and kihon kumite based syllabus. For more information about what that means see the class setup here:
    http://www.d-a-r-t.org.uk/Shotokankarate.html

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Oh i see thought you were talking about trained and none trained fighters in general, but you were talking about specific limitations found in karate systems, got it now ;)

6. John Titchen

That specifically but the maxim of you get at what you train for applies to everyone.

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

ID go with the maxim if you get good at dealing with good attacks then its relatively easy to deal with bad versions of said attacks
    I know from personal experience that dealing with a haymaker became easier when I was able to deal with a good fighters hook punch or overhand, and dealing with a head down bum rush became easier after learning to deal with a decent double leg
    But id also agree that when I only trained a style that was very limited in its attacks then it was harder to spot attacks i wasn’t used to even if said attacks were uneducated so to say
    Personally training time for me is limited and I prefer to spend what time i have training against good high percentage stuff as i feel it has a better cross over

8. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

You don't realise it, but it all just comes naturally when it gets dirty. Repetitive practice drills it into you so that it becomes second nature to react to.

9. John Titchen

To an extent I'd agree, but with the caveat that the respective end positions to failed haymakers tend to be different to those of failed good hooks, and as a result differing follow through strategies may be required. Personally I address this by having inside and outside response drills (and stand alone attack response versus recovering while in an onslaught/combination - as a training phase rather than different items) and I would imagine most close quarter systems do similar things.

10. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

I throw throw the haymaker as a routine attack, I like to do it while lungeing. In fact I practice it during shadow boxing, mines pretty fast actually and beleive it or not its made my back fist really really fast.