Big 12

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by bodyshot, Nov 18, 2014.

1. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Whatever lols, same thing.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

As a boxer I would disagree.

Type angulated uppercut into You Tube and you get just 4 results and one of them is my video.

Ultimately though it doesn't matter what you call it.

If mechanically you throw it correctly it doesn't matter.

3. bodyshot

Aweeeesome video and looks very much like some of the instruction Ive had on the hook and upper cut from my instructor who uses boxing as our strikeing platform. I think you would like training with us and vice versa.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

So you dont do armbars, but you do, do gogoplatas, ;)

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'd call that a shovel hook as well. But, as you said, it's just a name.

I've also heard it called a Mexican hook. I can only assume that's because it was used by some prominent Mexican boxer or another. All the same, that name always sounds vaguely inappropriate to me. So I go with shovel hook.

6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

as you say horses for courses I imagine you wear head gear on sim days does that make spotting wider punches harder? All the head gear I have ever warn has had this problem,
    Anyone who has trained Thai or mma will have seen both as well, especially Dutch Thai style lots of over hands, wider hooks there, and mma with small gloves leads to all sorts of angled attacks but still thrown with good body mechanics and proper form

7. bodyshot

Im not sure what a Gogoplata is, but it sounds like good Mexican food for some reason, I do know they have a choke down from bottom position that uses the shin so yes I think they use the gogo. As far as joint locks goes there are some breif discussions on the simple wrist lock in two variations and the simple armbar in its standing variation and when done from top mount, more of a defense or what to watch for talk because we dont drill arm bars the reason I dont think we use them is because theres nothing very legal about breaking someones arm over a bar fight or what ever.

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

but you practise spear hands and RNC's which can both be lethal?

9. bodyshot

right but those are for womens self defense mainly is the context we use them in, we dont RNC would be attackers we try to get away first, Idk im lying I guess I would RnC an attacker, but Im kinda like that, I blame it on the army crap I went through.

10. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Headgear limits peripheral vision but generally it's the offline suckers that fall foul of this most of the time. The headgear doesn't affect your ability to spot blatantly telegraphed punches right in front of you, whether straight or round. It's knowing the telegraphs (and being used to the range and pre-fight) that is the issue.

I raised the issue as in a lot of karate sparring (Bodyshot's system is a karate one) round and over committed punches are rare.

11. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Pretty sure I've copped a few at yours.

12. John Titchen

You got hit by a slow-mo haymaker on your first acclimatisation. I suspect it happened because you were so unfamiliar with it.

13. bodyshot

I gotta know what are you guys talking about?

14. John Titchen

A long time ago, in some scenario training...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Ioxs2Q67g[/ame]

15. bodyshot

Yea you caught that right more times than you needed to but it looked like an easy fix. I would have said part of your problem might have been that your hands were extended all te way out to start with which didnt let you counter strike as quickly as you should have, after the first one hit ya he just took advantage of the momentm that gave him, so what did you guy do to fix that.

16. John Titchen

That was just a warm up. The same attack 3 times at gradually increasing speed. It was followed by a debrief and then more complicated environments and judgement calls.

Bassai's come a long way since 2011.

17. bodyshot

What kind of martial art do you guys do.

18. John Titchen

From memory Bassai is a Shotokan Karate lad with a side helping of Aikido these days.

I teach Shotokan Karate and DART Karate and also have an Aikido background.

19. bodyshot

What is dart Karate.

20. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Can I just say, apropos Simon's earlier post, I absolutely love a good shovel hook. :D

Mitch