Big 12

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by bodyshot, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Why are you even waiting for the hold come on fully?

You are reacting which is always bad, you need to regain that initiative and screw up his game plan.

Yes train through various levels so you can learn the technique, get the mechanics right but eventually you need to be smashing his OODA into next week so that he doesn't know if he's coming or going. Timing and intention should be drilled throughly here, yes it's ABC steps at first but to be honest breaking the grip of a determined attacker isn't an easy thing, especially if you are dealing with everything else he'll be sending your way.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  2. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Of course Dean, thats also a part of how we train, we dont jus stand there neither does the attacker, Like I said sometimes we train with sympathetic motion sometimes we dont but when we dont the goal is never to just let the attacker get a grab or hold off on you its always to attack the attacker, but if he gets a hold you gotta know what or what not to do thats why we train sd, hey im gonna post something cool 4 u guys give me a minute.

3. bodyshot

Maybe this will help.
    Heres the class structure.
    1.warm up-calistenics/stretching/breakfalls

2.single technique-punches/kicks/blocks/throws/takedowns/grip breaks/chokes

3.combination technique. combo strikes/combo strike and takedowns or throws.

4.foot work and movement-lungeing/stepping/pivoting/bobbing weaving/break falls evasive movement, jujitsu sweeps and transitions

5.shadow boxing-just like it says.

6.sparring or self defense. traded off bi weekly

each segment runs ten to fifteen minutes and is some times done in a different order shadowboxing first after warm up sometimes etc. What ever sd we are working that night those techniques and foot work are usually covered in class in single and combination technique.
    Maybe that will help a little, anyway what ya think.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I don't think that gives enough time on each technique.

5. bodyshot

We dont work all those technique, the things i listed were just examples of what we might do usuall two things per block of instruction.

6. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

There's generally a big difference between the punches you get in sparring (long/medium range, often non tactile and generally linear and not over-balanced) and the type you need for more common self defences (flailing, windmilling, close quarter, often preceded by a grab or a push, generally circular or over-committed straight). I often see people who train for the highly skilled former get surprised and caught (often badly) by the 'less skilled' latter.

7. bodyshot

We go over the hook in all its variations same with the overhand or cross punch, personally I catch alot of people with the hooking uppercut and head butt, but I get caught sometimes too I think we probly all do. So over all what do you guys think.

8. Simon

Hook in all its variations?

Can you name them for me, because you make it sound like you have several variations.

What is a hooking uppercut?

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Not nearly as much as ive seen guys training to deal with the latter get surprised by the former ill bet :D

10. bodyshot

You being serious???

11. Simon

Yes.

Hook to the head, hook to the body.

Uppercut

Angulated body shot, often called the shovel hook.

You make it sound as though you have more variations.

I apologise if I'm reading things incorrectly.

12. John Titchen

Horses for courses.

I've seen a few very good straights thrown in scenario training, some of which have landed, others haven't. Generally speaking the straight ones that have landed have been sucker punches. As to who they've landed on, I can't say I've noticed any weighting in favour of those used to dealing with haymakers, but that might be because they are more used to trying to position themselves not to get blindsided.

By contrast I've very rarely seen a telegraphed haymaker land on someone who's trained to spot that telegraph, but I have seen lots of occasions where people used to linear punches (not my students) have been caught by obvious haymakers.

You get good at what you train for. If you want to get good at both, train for both.

13. bodyshot

OK I will post somethin else for you to look at, heres the clinch and ground work stuff we work on.

1.clinch-over hook/underhook, hip toss/reaping throw, head control(like muai thai) knees/elbows, propre grips on sleeves collars and lapells, guillitene choke, body lock/body lock throw, standing rear naked choke, double leg(i know not exactly clinch just adding it here) single leg takedown. breaking the clinch, maintaining the clinch pummleing for better position, pummleing is actually covered dont know if youve heard of that. break falls

2. ground work, mount, escape from mount, side control, scarf hold, rear naked choke, transition from side to mount and preventing. guard and guard pass, triangle choke, headlock/cross face submission from guard(in house use only) shrimping, strikeing/defending strikes from all positions. that about covers it as we dont practice any sumission joint locks, oh fore arm choke btw, and I think BB covers some chokes from bottom position that you do with your shin Idk ive seen them do it but havent seen the 2degree bb test.

I think thats about the whole ball of wax but knowing me Ive left some thing out.

14. bodyshot

O.K. cool then the hooking uppercut, point of origin for this punch is the low chamber around the hip works fine but dosent have to be that low, you throw it like a hook but keep your elbow down like an upper cut, aim for up under the jaw not the chin.

15. Simon

Sounds like an uppercut.

You can't throw a hook of any kind and have it land under the jaw.

16. Kave

Kave Lunatic

You missed my favourite hook: The leaping left hook.

17. Simon

One of those shots that has you thanking your lucky starts when you see it whizz past your nose and miss.

Here's how I deal with the mechanics of the hook and angulated body shot.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBtLQVnk0WI"]Body shot and lead hook - YouTube[/ame]

18. bodyshot

watch Manny P. hes a master of the hooking uppercut with the lead left, im telling you it knocks people out all the time, a regular uppercut comes up the center line a hooking uppercut comes at a 45 roughly.

19. Simon

Then it's an angulated punch, not an uppercut.

20. John Titchen

Really?

I'd describe anything that comes up as a form of uppercut, but I'm approaching it as a karateka rather than a boxer.