bicep curls rep number

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by enquea, Jul 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fixationdarknes

fixationdarknes Valued Member

I would tell him to eat a lot of food (more than he's eating now) and do arm work whether it be direct work or indirect work (and if need be, change up the routine since it's been 6 months already). Also, I'd tell him not to work his arms TOO much because that could lead to overtraining.

2. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

It was kind of a rhetorical question, to prove a point, that when training for the perfect body, isolations are effective

3. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

Or lets change effective to essential

4. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Haha, but then you would have to define the perfect body, so its still flawed. But aannnnyways.

5. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

There is no global perfect body, it will be self defined.. .

6. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Well, then your statement is still flawed (the corrected version I mean). Someones perfect body might not even require weight training.

7. fixationdarknes

I agree. My perfect body is to have a strong core. Are isolations essential? Nope.

8. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

True, but i did say when _training_ for the perfect body. But still there is some truth in what you say, by training for perfect body I guess I had my idea of perfect body in my mind, but when we talk about anything we have to work with majorities, and i think it's safe to say most people's idea of a perfect body will require weight training.

9. fixationdarknes

That's probably true. But you have to understand that isolations aren't necessary or essential or whatever you want to call them. I know people with huge guns and they don't isolate their arms. It's really a matter of preference and self-experimenting. If you isolate your arms, you might get bigger arms than if you didn't; but then again, you might not. You can't just put down a statement saying that isolations are essential. It's different for everyone.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  10. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

Well I think I will tend to disagree, becuase to get a perfect body, on the whole requires attention to individual parts, becuase not all part will grow equally, some might be stubborn etc etc, hence why bodybuilders do alot of isolation work.

11. fixationdarknes

Did I not just say that everyone is different? I have a friend that has done very well with purely compounds and no isolation work and he tried adding in an arm day to isolate the arms, and ended up overtraining his arms and got nowhere. What would you tell him?...to keep doing direct arm work? Because clearly he didn't have good results with it.

12. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

Isolation doesn't just refer to isolating your biceps.

13. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

I'd tell them to eat big, Deadlift heavy, Pullups/Rows heavy and that's at the very least. Hitting them with those big compounds on a separate day with higher reps can help in recovery/hypertrophy stimulus (which would be the second time a week).

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  14. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

But naturally they'll already be doing that... In back exercises biceps are secondary and can only get so big from doing them, if it wasn't like this then bodybuilders wouldn't need to isolate them. .

15. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

I think your over-hyping isolation exersises. Nothing wrong with them, but its not like theyre some magic addition to your routine.

I'm willing to bet you could get HUGE and never do an isolation exersise.

16. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

I'm not over-hyping them, this forum under estimates them, badly, probably becuase most of the questions are about strength rather then looks.

And i'm sure you could

17. fixationdarknes

Well someone like me doesn't like doing any isolations at all. I tried it a while back, and my gains came real slow. I'm getting much better results with purely compounds. What would you tell me?

18. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

What do you mean you tried it and your gains came real slow? what did you do, stop all compounds and just do isolation? or add isolations on top of your workout, or did you adopt a completely new program with isolations in

Like said it doesnt work for everyone, but I think it's safe to say it works for most when done properly.

19. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

How do you know they're eating enough? And if their arms aren't big from doing deads (more than "just a back exercise"), rows, chins/pullups, and even squats with heavy weight, and pig out, then they're genetic freaks (in a bad sense).

20. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

LOL I know they're eating enough becuase I made this person up. And to your second statement I disagree again. I've read so many posts asking how to get there arms bigger when there routines already have alot of back compounds in, there arms are just simply lagging. I've seen so many pictures, where peoples arms have been lagging.

By your logic bodybuilders need to re-look at there diets and lift heavier, becuase they isolate there arms.

To put it simply, deadlifts etc can only take you so far, and for some they may take you all the way, but IMO for the majority of people to get well proportioned bodies when training for hypertrophy they will need to have isolation exercises in there, and I think that this is obvious, for reason I'm not going to type now becuase it's nearly 5am and I'm off to bed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.