bicep curls rep number

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by enquea, Jul 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

I'm not missing anything, you said more workouts = better athlete, which i disagree with, quality wasn't mentioned in your statement.

Anyway i'm off to bed

2. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

I agree with everything really, except the T-nation comment, I dont think anyone does what you mentioned.

3. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Nforce, stop talking out of your rectum.

Prophet is 100% right on this.

If you want to get big arms, you have to train your whole body. Doing thousand sets of curls isnt going to do didly squat.

About the whole different goal thing. Compound isnt for only strength, otherwise you wouldnt see aspiring bodybuilders doing them.

Do Curls when you have something to shape, if you are a little skinny stick figure, all the preacher curls inthe world will do NOTHING for you.

4. Maverick

Maverick New Member

This is plainly false though. Of course doing curls will give you bigger arms.

How do you explain the wheelchair-ridden bodybuilders with 17 inch guns?

5. NaughtyKnight

So your telling me that he has 17inch arms and no other muscle on his body. Crap mate.

Look at his back, shoulders etc.

You will not get huge arms by doing curls.

6. Maverick

Maverick New Member

No, but being wheelchair-bound, they cannot squat or deadlift, or clean and jerk, or snatch, yet they can still have big arms.

An example - http://www.teen-bodybuilding.com/site/coltwynn.htm

The "you need to train your whole body for your bodyparts to want to grow" myth is debunked by these people!

7. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

I think we're all getting just a little one sided with our choice of exercises, remember the initial thread was started for help. In regards to what this has progressed to, obviously compounds will trigger more GH than isolation, obviously you'll be able to load more weight on your body, obviously it'll have more cross-over functionality, but isolations doesn't do nothing for christ sakes... They just do less [Damn, where's my smiley face when I need it].

Enquea was doing a compound, he was doing chinups and pullups, but he just wanted to add a little mass on his bis for whatever reason. So why this has become a 'compounds does everything, isolation does nothing' debate eludes me. They're both formidable methods of training that would be used for different uses.

8. NaughtyKnight

Errr, you can see him doing pull downs on that pic. And he does have a big back, not just big arms.

Guess its not a myth after all ;)

9. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

There's such a thing as being too dogmatic. Granted, if you're squatting 100 pounds and benching a pair of paperweights, you need to avoid isolation like the black death and get some strength and muscle mass. If you're already happy with how big you are and you want to try something different or go into bodybuilding, there's a place in your routine for isolation exercises.

10. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

Er no i'm not, point out anything that i said which is incorrect?

1) Did I ever tell him not to train his whole body? can you even read? We were discussing exercises for his biceps, I listed my four favourite.

2) No but everyone here laughs at people who mention isolation exercises, did you even read what i was saying?

3) Ah ok so bicep exercises don't make the muscle grow? they just shape it? Ah ok.

Maybe can you explain how I didnt train back and legs for months and I manage to gain 16.5" arms? (ps, I was training by myself and had little motivation to go :) )

I suggest you get your head back down under.

11. Knight_Errant

Um, no, they don't. Muscles don't work like that.
    Just out of interest, what exercises were you doing, and what kind of level were you at before you started doing it?

12. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

13. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

And the level I was at was starting new, this february I think, after about a year off from the gym

14. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Considering that he can't do the acknoweldged biggest mass-building compound movements, squats and DLs, and can't do oly lifts either, I think going from 11 to 15 inch biceps pretty much debunks this ridiculous myth.

15. ocianain

ocianain Valued Member

Maverick, It's not about what he can't do, it's about what he can do, He can bench, he can do rows, he can chin. His torso looks big to me, he didn't get that way by doing curlls. Big people have big arms, as his photo's prove (good 3/4 back by the way!).

16. Maverick

Maverick New Member

I never said he got a big torso from doing curls. I said you can build big arms without training your whole body. Of which he is living proof.

There is not some unwritten rule of hypertrophy in the body that only allows muscles to grow in proportion to each other. If this were so, wheelchair-bound BBers would have scrawny upper bodies. At the end of the day, whether you like it or not, if someone does curls and tricep pushdowns a few times a week with progressively heavier weights, they *will* put inches on their arms.

I'm not saying this is the right way to go about it, but it's FACT.

17. Knight_Errant

Sorry, haven't really been following your little catfight very closely.
    It's obviously not true that every little bit of your body has to be developed simultaneously. What's more, I don't think anybody on this forum seriously thinks it does.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2005
  18. ocianain

ocianain Valued Member

Maverick, In thirty years of lifting I have NEVER seen anyone build big arms without building a big body. Never. Taking an 11 inch arm to 12 inches is nothing, if you want 17 inch arms or so, you better be big. I know I come across as a know it all, but, everything you are advocating, I tried. I wasted years training, that way, when I cut back and trained the way I'm advocating I went from 175 to 225. Eat good foods, train heavy, don't get fat and throw in a couple sets of curls. Don't spend a lot of time in the gym, have fun. Bodyweight will limit arm size, unless you're Billy Schaeffer!

19. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

I think the whole point ocianian is trying to press, is that you cant have huge arms and a tiny torso/chest/back, it just doesnt happen.

Lets just close this thread with the following statement:

Isolation exersises are all fine and good AFTER your compounds. Because youll never get big just doing isolations.

20. Maverick

Maverick New Member

I think it doesn't tend to happen, for obvious reasons. Nobody is going to sit there doing curls and pressdowns all day and not do any other exercise.

My point is there is nothing physiological (evidence, please?) stopping you doing so, if you could be bothered.

That said, I agree with Prophet, isolation always after compound, and I think most BBers would agree as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.