bicep curls rep number

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by enquea, Jul 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enquea

enquea New Member

hi i was just wondering how many reps and sets should i do with my bicep curls, i have them at the end of an arm/chest workout incase that changes anything. My goal is to gain mass becuase i am quite skinny and i would also like to know how long i should rest between each set. Also i have an arm and chest workout twice a week and am curious as to wether i should do my bicept curls twice a week... i heard you should do them only once per week if you wish to gain mass.
    thx

2. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

hahahahahahahahaha what a great post. hahahhahhahah :D, you made my night. I will leave this for someone else, because secretly, i love bicep curls!!!

3. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

:D ditto ..well not that love curls bit ;)

Man, drop the curls and do pullups.

Also do 3 fullbody workouts every week.

4. the core

the core New Member

You don't have to drop the curls, but try seated hammer curls or a consentration curl. Those build some good mass.

5. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Curls rhyme with girls. Coincidence? I think not.

6. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

^^^^ Haha, come on fellas, he's asking for help. Seriously though enquea you're better off with big compound lifts, instead of bicep curls I'd suggest bent over row. If you're trying to gain mass you're better off with a compound based routine... What other kinds of exercises are you doing?

7. Stan O'Kella

Stan O'Kella Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Aint nothing wrong with doing curls, i do em! I wanna be strong so i squat, bench and all the rest i also wanna pull chicks and look good in a short sleeve t shirt so i curl!

Have a look at http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

As for sets and reps, same as your other exercises, make sure if you are working biceps as an isolation exercise you work the triceps to the same level. If you wanna gain mass, eat right and supplement if you want to a bit of creatine and protein dont go amiss.

8. ocianain

ocianain Valued Member

This is going to sound painfully obvious, but, here goes, big people have big arms! You see very few big arms on skinny guys. Eat, eat some more, do as instructed by ninjamonkey (do multi joint exercises, called compound exercises), build you routine around the bench, deadlift, row and squat. Do 5 sets of 5 on the aforesaid exercises. BeWaterMyFriend and Adam McGuigan are extreamly knowledgeable, listen to them. Train at a real gym with serious lifters, do not do bodybuilding it's a waste of time. Training session should be 45 minutes tops.

9. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Where's that old house analogy of mine when I need it? In all fairness, as long as 90% of your gym work is geared towards the compound lifts, then a bit of isolation isn't gonna have a debilitating effect on the training. I would have an emphasis on reverse curls and hammer curls over bb curls. Hit one bicep movement twice a week and work a pyramiding rep setup, something like 8,6,4,8

Oc hit on something that seems to be a common rule of thumb (I'm not sure where it came from though), 10 pounds of weight gain=1 inch on the arms.

10. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

I've read that biceps respond to heavy stimulus, so try Samurai's pyramid. Or a 5x3 set/rep scheme. Don't go to failure, and see how that goes. With such little volume, you may be able to hit them twice a week (say once a week with pull ups or chins, then the other time with curls.)

11. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

I was thinking of doing one rep every new years day.

12. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Do hammer curls but grip the dumbell in the middle to train your grip as well.

Btw, many strongmen do curls.

13. NaughtyKnight

Now I really wish you were at my gym!

I need a quality workout patner like you.

14. enquea

enquea New Member

ok... well first of all i need someone to explain how to do hammer curls, and secondly i'll show you the rest of my workout so that you guys know why i thought curls might fitt in:
    In addition to my workout i try and fit in 6-8 meals per day, with atleast 2 beef/chicken (can't stand tuna or rice) sandwiches, 2 protein shakes, and anything with fat. At the moment i'm trying to put on weight and in a few months i will burn it off with low intensity cardio.
    I am also walking around on my toes.. hasn't done much so far though :(
    Btw i can't do deadlift and can't be bothered explaining why..

Tuesday:
    Warm up
    Calves, 10 reps, 3 sets, 1-0-1, 50 seconds between each set.
    Squats, 5 reps, 5 sets, 2-0-2, 50 seconds between each set.
    Superman, (don't really know how this exercise is supposed to be done but i do one rep for 10 secdons, wait a second, then repeat 5 times... im guessing tahts wrong though)
    Side crunches Right, 7 reps, 4 sets, 1-0-1, 40 seconds between each set.
    Stretches

Thursday:
    Warm up
    Knuckle pressups, 9 reps, 3 sets, 1-0-1, 40 seconds between each set
    Bench Press, 5 reps, 5 sets, 2-0-2, 50 seconds between each set
    Military Press, 5 reps, 5 sets, 2-0-2, 50 seconds between each set
    Chinups, 5 reps, 5 sets, 2-0-2, 50 seconds between each set
    Dips, 6 reps, 4 sets, 2-0-2, 50 seconds between each set
    Bicep Curls, 3 reps, 8 sets, 2-0-2, 1 minute between each set (curently)
    Top forearm isolation exercise with the bench and dumbells, 10 reps, 3 sets, 1-0-1, 50 seconds between each set
    Centre Crunches, 10 reps, 3 sets, 1-0-1, 40 seconds between each set
    Stretches

Saturday:
    Same as Tuesday

Sunday: (the difference between Sunday and thursday being that i change chinups to pullups, take out the bicep curls, and switch the top forearm isolation to the bottom forearm isolation)
    Warm up
    Knuckle pressups, 9 reps, 3 sets, 1-0-1, 40 seconds between each set
    Bench Press, 5 reps, 5 sets, 2-0-2, 50 seconds between each set
    Military Press, 5 reps, 5 sets, 2-0-2, 50 seconds between each set
    Pullups, 4 reps, 6 sets, 2-0-2, 50 seconds between each set
    Dips, 6 reps, 4 sets, 2-0-2, 50 seconds between each set
    Bottom forearm isolation exercise with the bench and dumbells, 10 reps, 3 sets, 1-0-1, 50 seconds between each set
    Centre Crunches, 10 reps, 3 sets, 1-0-1, 40 seconds between each set
    Stretches

The reason i though bicept curls might be effective is that i thought they might add a little bit of mass and tone to my biceps as i consider them an important muscle, however if their is another exercise that would be more effective where bicep curls are then could someone please say, i'm guessing hammer curls might be.... ?

15. NaughtyKnight

Hammer curls are the same as curls, except you hold the dumblels vertically.

I wouldnt even bother with curls. You need to put on some serious weight on the rest of your body to get even 1inch on your arms. I usually have to put on 10-20lbs of muscle on my chest, back etc just to get 1inch on my arms.

Go with Dumbell rows, and weighted pullups for a few months. That will axe your arms like no other (aswell as building a massive back). Get some Dips in there for your Tricep and Chest. Add some Bench. SQUAT is very good. And STANDING military press is a very good idea aswell.

Go with Oci's reps of 5sets of 5reps. And make sure you dont spend over an hour in the gym.

Blessed> That 10lbs to 1inch came from Hard Gainer. The bible of the gym.

16. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

The only reason they do curls is for conans wheels and zerchers are better for that.

17. Maverick

Maverick New Member

lol, do you routinely add huge slabs of muscle to your chest mate?

harharh, I know they do them for certain events, but nontheless they do them. Nothing wrong with a set or two of hammer curls at the end of a back/bi day. Even some people on t-nation say you can do curls, so it must be true.

18. NaughtyKnight

On the note of your workout plan.

Its too long, too many pointless exercises.

I sudgest that you buy hardgainer. www.hardgainer.com. It has a very no nonsence approach to working out. It will set you up with a quality program that WILL meet your goals.

I recommend dropping Supermans. If you dont even know how to do it, I dont see why you bother. Perfect Technique with progressive poundages. Thats the only way to get big. If you are doing it wrong, you will never get any benefits out of it.

Heres my sample of a workout plan.

Monday:

Dips
    Bench
    Squat

Wednesday:

Dumbell Row
    Pull ups
    Standing Military Press

Friday:

Upright Row
    Weighted Cruches
    Weighted Side Torso Twists

That should hit every single part of your body. You will be out of the gym in 45mins no worries.

Make sure you get 8 hrs sleep a night minimum! Most important part. If you dont sleep properly, dont even think about going to the gym.

Also Eat alot. You need a hell of alot of food to get big. Not just protein, your body needs alot more than just protein to get big.

19. NaughtyKnight

Obviously not, I wish though.

But pretty much ever Inch I have put on my arm, I have put on 10-20lbs of muscle on my body.

20. enquea

enquea New Member

I find it hard to believe that doing that little amount is effective, however i'm guessing you guys are probably right... now i'm really confused which isn't cool:(, i think i'll just pretend i didn't post this topic.. although thanks for the link i'll probably get that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.