Better Kicking - How?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Jim Sorensen, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Jim Sorensen

Jim Sorensen Valued Member

I've already asked this on tung-fu, but I doubt I'll get quality answers from there...so I'm just using my resources.

I would like to get my kicks more powerful, or speedy at least. Can anybody recommend good practice exercises?

Please don't respond with something that will lead to an endurance drill...I already know and do plenty of those. I'd like to build skill in my kicks.

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

apart from actually kicking the bag- squats and explosive squats will greatly help the power and speed of your kicks. try and work on technique and the speed will follow

3. Martial One

Martial One Martial Way student

For speed:

strength, gained by resistance, the stronger you are the more resistance you can handle
    relaxation, if you are contacting muscles constantly it will be harder for you to coordinate them into a single movement
    flexibility, increases range of motion which decrease the resistance your body can make while in motion
    leanness, less fat, less weight, less weight faster movement
    bloodflow, a factor of energy, the more the energy the more possible force
    health of joints, tendons, ligaments, if they are in bad shape, they will add resistnce like a rusty ball bearing as opposed to a refined and lubricated one
    density of muscles, not "puffed up" thick muscle fiber with more space in between them, that increases weight, thin condensed muscles allow for more strength and less weight
    sequential application of forces, coordination the muscle contractions, rather than haveing a contraction here and there.
    stretch reflex, allows for more relaxation, also making it easier to coordinate muscle contractions
    contractions, if your muscle dont contract you dont use them
    duration of force, the farther your weapon has to travel the more potential it has for increased acceleration, unless there is too much resistance to allow it
    fluid motion, as opposed to more vibrations caused by resistance, simple mathematics, the shortest distance between two points will always be a straight line

For mass:

if i tell you how to do this, your kickboxing instructors may have a different opinion (all styles do), so practice using the body mechanics your art offers you.

for area:

hit the smallest target possible with the smallest weapon possible going through your target. Have a conditioned striking surface, and hit vital points rather than just anywhere.

4. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

My kicks are more powerful. I know because of the ole "instant feedback" think. :)

In my school there are various wavemaster freestanding bags.
    I set the bag to its lowest position and kick away. When the bag gets knocked over....that is good :D When the bag tips and comes back that is bad :bang:

Enjoy and kick away.

Attached Files:

5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i never liked wavemasters, too easy to knock over. all thats good for is bragging rights, why would you want to have to reset it all the time?

6. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

A couple of years ago I could only knock over the bags by a thrust kick.
    Now I can knock them over with wheels, wheel knees which is an accomplishment for me...no bragging just noticing self improvement. Also very good for keeping both sides even. It feels like I'm kicking just as hard on my left side...but...bag...no...fall...down.

As for having to reset it all the time...good point. :)