Best wing chun books?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by airweaver, Apr 19, 2014.

1. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

Anyone got any reccomendations for good wing chun books?

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Link removed.

very sorry, but we can't start the thread off like this.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
  3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Before things get REALLY out of hand, there is something that needs to be said - Wing Chun eats it's own!

What one person says is a good book another will set on fire in disgust because for a style that is supposedly very simple there are about 3,000,000,0002 variations and factions on it

That said, there are a plethora out there and this site has a lot of them and does not appear to be TOO stylistically biased to one or the other

http://www.everythingwingchun.com/wing-chun-ving-tsun-books-s/63.htm

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Aw. :(

Okay, thanks Simon. :)

5. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

What's your lineage?

6. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Depends what you mean/want airweaver.

A nice introductory type work is the book WCKF by Ohara Pub. under James Lee's name but actually written by Bruce. Of course coming from these guys a few of the actual techniques -and it's pointed out- aren't "pure" but it presents theories,concepts,basics and drills with good photos/illustrations.

Don't know if it's still in print.

7. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

This is a great book, not written from the viewpoint of a particular lineage. Also Alan Gibson has a good rep in the UK. He's a Wong Shun Leung lineage but has expereince of others before heading down that particular road!

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wing-Chun-Works-Alan-Gibson/dp/0953489523/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397999778&sr=8-1&keywords=wing+chun+the+works"]Wing Chun: the Works: Amazon.co.uk: Alan Gibson: Books[/ame]

8. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

If you want historical information, there's a ton of high quality work here for free http://chinesemartialstudies.com/
    If you're after technique orientated stuff I'd argue that a video would be more useful.

9. Wooden Hare

Wooden Hare Banned Banned

Agree with Ben.

Here's the problem with Southern CMA books, imho...I've got a whole library of them. Not every penny was well spent...

They generally fail to illustrate critical concepts. Some are OK. I think this is true enough in books on Hung ga, Jow ga, CLF...bad English translations and useful pictures side, it's hard to pick up the important bits from text/pictures unless you already have a first-hand (instructional) understanding...but particularly Wing Chun books are lacking with regards to useful info (there is often a lot of theory, and less practical application info). Some would argue it's hard to fill a whole book with Wing Chun concepts without borrowing from outside WC...but anyway.

What I really mean by this is that as I read through the books, I've noticed the WC side of the library to be missing a lot of conceptual material that is critical for learning either the basics, or the advanced material that somebody who already has the basics would want to get a good ROI on their purchase. I say that having spent a lot of money on books, including WC books, that were just terrible.

SO...I'd recommend not just looking at WC books in particular, but examining a broader range of Southern CMA books...examining WC in the larger context of Southern CMA is valuable. I know that certain WC buddies of mine have REALLY expanded their understanding this way of going "outside the box".

I'd also recommend reading Bruce Lee's notes and the posthumously compiled/published Tao of JKD...because out of THAT book, you'll get at least some insight into the mind of a man who took his own WC experience to the next level, instead of reading the same retreading of WC theories, legends, etc.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014