Best wing chun book ?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by DominikDoherty, May 1, 2016.

1. DominikDoherty

DominikDoherty Valued Member

You still dont understand I dont want to train in something else I have tried other things e.g. tae kwon do, bjj, capoeira and boxing and i didnt like any of them Wing Chun was the one martial art I have always wanted to do and I regret so much dropping it years ago I live in the middle of nowhere far away from any big cities and the only place that teaches wing chun is on belfast and I live in omagh almost two hours away its not worth traveling all of that way. I cant find anyone to train or correct me the only guy I know who could have done that is in england and i dont know when he is coming back. right now teaching myself is the only option I dont care what anyone else says, I dont care if i make mistakes, i dont care if its not the same as learning from a teacher and i do not care if you think i am deluding myself if i want to do something i will do it one way or another be it through a book, dvd or a teacher I will do it one way or another so if you have anything else to say say it and be done with it because i started this thread for people to help me not to put me down.

2. DominikDoherty

I have had a serious think about it and my conclusion is i dont like karate i have tried it once before and i never liked it it was too plain and too sporty for me wing chun however i loved it and i regret giving it up and want to do it again so doing it in anyway possible be it from a book, dvd or a teacher is what i am going to do so if you have anything else to say just say it for petes sake so we can be done with it.

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

One, wind your neck in son. Two EVERYONE has told you you are wasting your time. Three, you tried one karate school once. You must be an expert on Karate schools.

4. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

You keep saying "only option" like it's a bad tick. Teaching yourself is not an option. Either make the trip, train something else, or you're a fool who won't be learning wing chun.

5. SWC Sifu Ben

Lookit me I'm learning how to shoot. I may not be learning how to point the gun correctly. It's fine though.
    [​IMG]

6. DominikDoherty

you know what stuff this can someone just tag an admin to remove this thread because I am not getting anything of use here.

7. Ben Gash CLF

You're getting the best advice from massively experienced martial artists. You're just choosing not to listen.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You are wrong, your idea is terrible and you are not listening to people much better than you are even though you know nothing

I agree....its a waste of time because you want validation not advice

9. DominikDoherty

because I am not getting any answers to my original question "I would like to find a good book to help me along with it" not one person has done that is it that hard to tell me the name of a good book ? The only person who has given me some semblance of help is the guy that said there was someone in omagh who teaches it he was the only person out of everyone here who gave me something that was remotely close to what I was looking for. I am just gonna get an admin to remove this post it was a mistake posting it because everytime without fail i get people not giving me the answers I asked for in the first place. Don't even bother replying to this because I am not gonna reply back to it.

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I object! I recommended a GREAT book!

11. Ben Gash CLF

That's because your question is fundamentally flawed. There is no book that can help you along. This isn't Kung Fu Hustle.
    Forum policy is not to remove threads, sorry.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  12. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I know a guy who lives in Ireland and wanted to train in an art that the nearest instructor for was in London.

Guess what he does?

He catches a plane once a month.

13. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

14. DominikDoherty

see thats the answer I was looking for thank you.

15. Ben Gash CLF

What, an out of print book on a different lineage???

16. SWC Sifu Ben

It's not the answer he needed....it's the answer he deserved

17. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

There is a book by Joseph Cheng, Chong Woo Kwan Wing Chun: Art of Simultaneous Defence and Attack ,with 108 wooden man techniques, that is apparently good.

At the end of the day OP it's up to you what you do and if the book route is the best you can do for now, although not ideal, go for it but if possible get some mates and go at it in a garage or somwhere and then you get it proven first hand or can at least experiment.
    When training alone I think it's best to work fundamentals. As an example when not in a BJJ gym , fundamental ground work can be done alone, like hip heists and bridges etc and getting good at moving on the ground and strength and flexibility through the ranges of motion needed. For stand up it might be getting fast feet, to be able to move rapidly in all directions or hand eye coordination etc....fundamentals transfer to anything but techniques might only transfer to the rule set of the style practised.

18. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Get a bag and practice the striking mechanics you already know from your previous training. Take monthly or bi weekly one to ones with a local/nearest teacher and buy any well reviewed chun book from Amazon to reference the things you are learning from the actual teacher.

Either that or do boxing and judo ;)

19. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

20. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member