Best Way to workout the upper back!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pitfighter, May 11, 2007.

1. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

I lift paint for a living, I'm currently an assistant manager at a paint supply store so I use a lot of my upper back. The past few months I've had a pinching pain in my shoulder blades the pain seemed to run out to my hands in a way that weakened my grip.

I've done various excercises like the bent over row, dumbell rows, lat pull downs, pull-ups, etc. But I always plateaued and then strained my shoulders, the type of lifting I do for a living doesn't exactly help.

The past 3 weeks I've been trying out an exercise my sister taught me (she's a dancer and gymnast). It involves lying on the floor forehead touching the floor. Pulling your shoulders down as opposed to pinching them together and keeping your shoulder relaxed. Your lats may pinch together in the process but mentally focus on pulling them down. (Personally I've noticed my shoulder blades and upper spine seem to pull in as I pull them down). As you do this your arms are supposed to be outstreched and you are supposed to be able to lift your arms over above your head w/out tensing your shoulders. If you can't lift them up just pinch your shoulders downward.

I've gotta say I don't know what it's called but so far it sure as hell works. Anybody have experience with this exercise. If you do what is it called?

I suggest giving it a try if any of y'all got upper back probs and seeing whether it helps you or not.