Best way to wield commonsense

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Taiji_Lou, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

So does ANYONE have any advice? I'm sure you all have weapons training. SOMEONE must. there must be some formula or tactic or strategy that can be applied for more than one weapon? I'm not trying to talk guns! I'm talking commonsense "what the heck it's 3am what's that noise" stuff! close quarters!

2. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

common sense? phone, flashlight, shotgun. call someone so somebody knows something might be up; call them back and let them know everything is ok once you're done. turn on all the lights as you go from room to room. don't shoot anything that doesn't need shooting.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  3. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Do you think japanese stick fighting tactics might be useful? Maybe I'll just experiment a little bit.

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

All good points. Make some noise when you're moving around. If the burglar is just there for the Blu-Ray player, they'll likely scatter as soon as they realize you're awake, so no need for a physical confrontation.

A big heavy metal-case Mag Lite is never a bad idea. Keep it by the side of the bed, and carry it with you when you're searching room to room. Also useful if the power goes out and you need to see where you're going.

5. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I saw this movie about a blonde kid that protects his home from burgalurs. He throws paint cans at them and dumps broken glass on the steps.

6. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

That's called "Home Alone".

7. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I thought it was a how to defend your property video.

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

lol and you're bending over wishing for the ban stick. :p

9. slipthejab

BWHAHAAHAHAHHAA!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

10. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

No, you're not. You are hoping that someone can tell you it's OK to use household items ala Jackie Chan. That's ridiculous for real life, and any legitimate martial artist will tell you so in no uncertain terms.
    The most practical self defense and anti home invasion tactic is to get a medium to large size dog. I've had it directly from the horse's mouth that home invaders and burglers will usually avoid a house with a dog because they are distracting, irritating, noisy, and potentially dangerous.

There! Problem solved without you having to spend a bunch of money on a firearm, or spend a bunch of time trying to perfect your Jackie Chan pole lamp fu. And who knows, you might make a good friend while you're trying to figure out how to properly train your dog.

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You will be cool if you always expect the difference. Life will be so boring if everybody around you all look the same.

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I think you're quite pointedly avoiding common sense on this one. A big dog. A burglar alarm. A phone call to the cops. A contract on a new home in a safer area. And if you want to escalate, a shotgun. All of these are common sense countermeasures. I'm not suggesting that they don't present their own challenges. But if you're telling us that home invasion is this big a problem where you live, then archaic weapon duels in your living room is NOT the solution.

The Filipino martial arts teach blunt and edged weapon tactics with a range of weapons that approximate things you might find at hand. But FMA training is still a distant second behind calling the police and leaving the heroics to somebody else. Stalking through your home, bo in hand, paints an impressive picture. But it's not a very realistic plan.

Stuart

13. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Many years ago someone broke into one of my neighbor's house. They tied the father and mother, and raped their daughter right in front of their face. When they left, they told the old couple, "Get a gun or a dog". It was on the Austin newspaper for many days. Since that day, I have gun under my sofas and sword behind my doors. Anybody who breaks into my house, I want to make sure that there will be enough surprise for those invaders.

One thing that I found out is to leave some weight bar, Kelly bells in your front yard and you will have less intruders.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It wasn't a rhetorical question when I asked it. If it really is that big a problem, then a better solution needs to be devised than learning to swing a baseball bat around.

And, without casting judgment (because I don't know the particulars of anyone else's story), I would move my wife and children elsewhere before I'd lace the house with firearms and bladed instruments.

Stuart

15. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Many peeople who live in a country where there is the freedom to won a firearm, dont. They are in a mindset that firearms are dangerous. They firearms kill. Well, DOH, yeah.
    Firearm education, exposure, and common sense are the keys.

I knew a couple who moved to a nicer place. The wife got raped while one of two assialants stood by with a club. It would have been the irony of this thread f that ckub was a baseball bat.

:) Yep, no special marksman skill required

P.l.e.a.s.e A shot gun is great for short range and has the power

Yep. But then all of the ninja training is out the window cause the shurikens didnt stick in the burglar comong in so fast

Get the shotgun which should be near the bed

Yep. No need to play Mickey Mantle or Ninja

Poor man's vid of home security

16. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Bat against one, better chance than bat against two

You miss with a bat, the "strike out" has consequences

17. Ace of Clubs

Ace of Clubs Banned Banned

Simple four step program to protect your home against invaders.

1. Broken Glass & Cement - Put it on your fence, windowsills and anywhere else that is not a direct entrance to your home or property.

2. Carcasses - Go to your local butcher or go hunting and get some carcasses (pigs/deers/whatever). Nail them to your door, hang them over your fence or just use them to decorate your property. It will smell a bit but over time you will have very aesthetically pleasing white bone which will scare the bejeezus out of your neighbours and potential burglars.

Added bonus: Keeps away Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons.

3. Big dog - Train it to bark at anything that enters the yard.

4. Shotgun alarm - wire your house so that if anyone breaks and enters you have a sound system that plays a recording of a shotgun being loaded.

18. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

I was only wondering if there was someway to weild a baseball bat in an effective manner... maybe more effective than grab and swing. I wasn't trying to twist anyone's shorts. I was asking a serious question, expecting maybe some serious advice from serious martial artists, and "grab the gun" or "call the police" are pretty obvious. I'm not buying a gun. Period. However, I DO keep a Louieville slugger next to my bed, under the window.

Now, any sound advice from good, solid martial artists? How about a book I can buy? Would sword techniques work? You know! Come ON!!!! Somebody point me in a better direction than buying a big dog (already got one!)

19. slipthejab

Well come on... step up to bat.. lol.

Seriously... look at the size and length of a baseball bat. What other weapons can you compare it to?

FMA might have some options... they swing sticks all the time...

RMA or western traditional martial arts (Irish cane fighting comes to mind) will also have some...

even some of the traditional Japanese martial arts may be able to apply... they use a jo... which might translate.

Get your Google on and employ some lateral thinking:

http://bigstickcombat.wordpress.com/tag/stick-fighting/

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d43qH9w5Dow"]YouTube- Irish Stick Fighting (Online Lesson 1) Glen Doyle Shillelagh[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uciBKZOVmPM"]YouTube- Irish Stick Fighting (Doyle Clan)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjgaD9lFS8M&feature=PlayList&p=54875E567CE22221&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=5"]YouTube- JO DORI[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Zuj5jdY-k"]YouTube- Dog Brothers: WARNING: Stick fighting IS Dangerous...[/ame]

now is that all that hard... it's less than 2 min on Google. :p
    You're making it a lot harder than it has to be.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  20. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Didn't occur to me to google it, no.