Best use of your time.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by philliphall, Sep 20, 2005.

1. philliphall

philliphall Valued Member

I train for Thai Boxing six times a week. My sessions are two days in class for 1 and 1/2 hours (pads and sparring), two days doing weights for an hour and two days on the bags and doing cardio work at home for an hour. Is this a sensible way to share out my time ?. How do you split the time you have to train ?.

2. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

Hello Philliphal, personally I don't have a time training table etc as I've always thought that u won't really be able stick to it as something may be in the way or something unfortunate pop's up so what I do is just try and do as much training as I can when I can and instead I just work on what I feel like I need doing and incomparison to what I've already done that week.To be honest I like it this way plus it's more fun rather than sticking to one thing, I do however keep to training and usually try and fit around a hour + everyday but usually I train for much longer than that as well as going to class.

Anways good luck

Mike.

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

depending on what im doing any given week (which could be nothing or it could be getting up at 7am to go and build stuff) I try and get to class every night. which is usually about 2 hours (hour of padwork and then an hour of sparring/conditioning/bagwork) 4 nights a week. If possible I would say do more lessons if possible- doing cardio is all well and good but thats not where you are learning to fight.

4. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

The way I split things up:

Class, 2 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Cardio outside of class weights outside of class. I do those anywhere between 5 and 6 AM every morning ;)

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

You a crazy man.

[calls the men in white coats - "hello, I'd like to report a crazy bald man weight training at 5 in the morning. You're on your way? Excellent."]

6. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I go to class 4 days a week, 1.5-2 hours a day.

These, when I get home from class the spirit takes ahold of me and I hit the bag, use a jump rope, do chin-ups and other calisthenics, and/or go running. I'm also starting to work out vigorously on the weekends.

I've been getting up at 5:45 some recently too, but I just can't bring myself to go to bed at 9:45 most of the time.

7. philliphall

philliphall Valued Member

If possible I would do more lessons . .

I would if I could but there are only two a week at the moment. My coach is currently building a gym in his back garden (as you do) so that should change soon enough. The only problem then will be the wife. Do any of you married guys get ear ache about the training you do ?.

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

The way to get better at MT is by doing MT, as Ikken says.

Most athletes do sport-specific exercises and have done for years, not just general cardio/weights.

I'm sure those things do help and may have other benefits too, but nothing beats working specifics.

I know people who can beat me in bleep tests etc who will get knackered throwing combinations sooner than I will.

mitch

9. WingChun Lawyer

WingChun Lawyer Modesty forbids more.

You goddamn freak. It is people like YOU who make me feel like a martial arts underachiever. Die!

I train three times a week, 1 1/2 hour each class. My coach did tell me I should do some weight lifting, as this might improve my spaghetti-thin biceps, but I have other things to do.

10. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I have to train my weights and cardio early in the morning, especially during the week. I kinda have no choice! My days now go something along the lines of:

Monday through Thursday: Wake up at 5 AM, train weights (at home) or cardio (at the gym), leave the apartment by 7:30, get to work, get to class, train until 7:00, get home at 7:30PM, have diner, and manage to find some RnR time in there :p Friday, no class, just weights early in the AM. Saturday and Sunday, early morning cardio, class on Saturdays.

And I need to do weights and cardio:
    1. I'm vain as hell and hate the fact I put weight on after I quit smoking.
    2. Early in the morning before breakfast is the best way to jumpstart your metabolism and get thew most from a workout.
    3. Heart disease runs in my family big time, and I need to lose body fat, big time. I'd prefer not having a heart attack and be found dead in my office at 40!

It's either train or sit around doing nothing and get fat. Pretty easy choice.

11. WingChun Lawyer

I understand you. The problem is that I am a lazy ******* - it is hard enough to drag myself to the gym three times a week; and I do not have any extra motivation to do any physical activity at all, other than my love of martial arts and vanity.

I still hate you, though.

PS: by the way, did I mention that last night I kicked a short, bald guy in the balls?

12. Dr.Quinn

Dr.Quinn BOLO!!!

I go to class 3 times a week and jog 2-3 miles every other day, also weight train at home on non-TKD days. About twice a week I go out to my garage and smack the crap out of my heavy bag. Last night our lawn mowers were almost stolen because i forgot to close the garage door! My crazy @55 uncle drove by and saw a guy taking them.

Anyway, I have lots of time to train, but its hard to get motivated. Still, I work out a lot.

I think what you are doing is awesome as long as you can tell you are improving. If you're not getting better then you should try another routine.

OMO

13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Forget all that training stuff... it's over rated.

MAP is all you need to know. :D

14. Slavist

Slavist New Member

Dude, you are just like me. I have tried to start several work-out programs and I just can't do it. I hate working out by myself and finding someone to work out with me, who can adapt to my busy schedule is impossible.

15. WingChun Lawyer

True that. Working out alone is hell, I feel like a mouse in one of those wheels - it seems like I am sweating to go nowhere! At least when I do martial arts, I can use my brains, I feel myself improving, there is SOMETHING to concentrate on.

Weight lifting sucks. I am now trying to come up with a decent excuse to avoid doing that.

16. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

No, did I mention that I ravished an average size brazilian man with skinny arms last night after class :p

17. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

LMAO... you still had energy for that ??? Man those morning workouts sure pay off !!! :D

18. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

He wasn't complaining ;)

19. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

I hear you...

Man, the guy has more energy than the Energizer bunny !!! :D

20. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

errr... slightly more info than we needed. :cry: