Best PC Games Coming Soon?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by MikeMartial, Sep 13, 2006.

1. MikeMartial

MikeMartial Lean and Mean

Here's my top 5 list:

1) Neverwinter Nights 2
    2) Crysis
    3) Half-Life 2: Episode 2
    4) F.E.A.R. Extraction Point
    5) Bioshock

I just ordered a new behemoth $3700 PC system, so I'm scoping out games that'll utilize the resources to the max :yeleyes:

Slap down your Top 5 Coming Soon list here.

2. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Oh baby, it's ALL about Crysis (especially now my PC will run it quite handily) :D
    I'm also really excited about HL2: Ep 2, Spore (totally not my kind of game, but it just looks like such a good way to waste time), the new Broken Sword game and Defcon which is an indie game about global nuclear war (think that bit when they're in the command bunker in Wargames made into a game). It's being released through Steam later this month, check the website at Everyone-Dies.com
    The new Battlefield game set in 2142 looks pretty droolsome too

3. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

My top 5.

1) Spore
    2) C&C 3

4. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

heres a thought, buy all 3 consoles and then get 3700 bucks worth of games and accessories. I promise it will be better spent there.

5. MikeMartial

We have a PC purchase plan through the city I work for, so that's the main reason. I give my older PC to my parents, and get myself a spanking brand new one every 3 years.

While their games have come a long way, I find the PC games they make for consoles "dumbed-down". This is a topic that could be debated as much as religion for some.

I can't really see Crysis, Spore, Bioshock, NWN2 and a host of other games even making it to a console, anways. And if they did <shiver>, I wouldn't want to see them.

6. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

i'll second that list!

right now my PCs not good enough to run anything new at much above basic settings but by the end of the year i may well have a new one, i'm kind of undecided between that or a wii60 set up.

7. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

The only one I'm looking forward to at the moment is Spore.

I'm currently playing Titan Quest. I realise it's not "coming soon", but it has come out quite recently. It's essentially a remake of the ancient Diablo 2, but with better graphics, storyline, playability, everything else . . .

8. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Valued Member

Here's mine, in no particular order:

1) Medieval Total War 2
    2) Crysis
    3) Half-Life 2: Episode 2
    4) F.E.A.R. Extraction Point

9. Gary

What's the character development side of the game like? All the trailers I saw looked like it was basically a 3D hack and slash rpg, with very little else.

10. CosmicFish

It's very similar to D2. The development is a little different, in that when you level up you can either put points into overall mastery of an area or into improving specific skills / spells. Overall mastery increases general stats like health, intelligence, etc and allows you access to the more powerful skills. There are also a few more stats. Otherwise it's very similar.

If you liked D2 and wouldn't mind revisiting it again, it's a great game to get, well worth the £25. But if you're bored with the whole D2 genre, then don't bother. You'll be bored of it within minutes.

But yeah, it is basically a 3D H&S.

11. Gary

I never really played the diablo series, but for rpg's i need the storyline/development bit, i get bored with constant gratuitous violence.

12. CosmicFish

Well there's some storyline, but to be fair there's only so much you can do with this kind of thing.

* Go kill this dude for me
    * Go fetch something for me
    * Go kill this dude and fetch something from him
    * Take this there for me
    * Take this there and kill someone when you get there

Probably not for you then. :D

13. MikeMartial

Update:

I bought NWN2, and I have to say, the storyline is amazing, and probably one of the best so far. It's far better than NWN1, easily. Thee's times I've even laughed out loud at what some of characters interactions with each other.

Does it beat out Oblivion? Hard to say, because they are two very different games, IMO. I expect a perfect hybrid of the two in the future, though.

Downside would be the user interface and some of the technical aspects. Bugged me at first, but you get used to it quickly.

Gamespot rated it a 8.6 I believe, and I'd put it exactly there.

14. inokichi

inokichi Murse

Like many of the above, I really badly want Spore. Ever since I saw the trailer for it I've been anxiously awaiting it's release. Has there been any sort of release date set for it yet, or is it yet to be confirmed?

15. Lilika

Lilika Scientia est potentia

According to gamespot.com October 1, 2007.

16. Topher

Topher allo!

17. inokichi

inokichi Murse

The other day I found out about "Mount & Blade". Imagine Oblivion (but not as good graphically) with really good cavalry combat and the ability to hire mercenaries to fight with you. I downloaded the beta last night and have been playing it obsessively ever since. However unlike the elder scrolls series, it's entirely about combat (no thieving or magic, I'm afraid) but the battles are awesome (Especially when you're mounted on a horse).

The plotline and story have yet to be fleshed out properly, but the important part (i.e. the fighting) is pretty much in place. I really can't wait for the full version of this to be released. The mounted element is what horseriding should've been like in Oblivion.

18. Dyno

Dyno Valued Member

PC:
    Crysis
    Bioshock
    C&C 3
    HL2: Ep2
    STALKER (Eventually :p)
    Supreme Commander

PS3:
    Tekken 6

19. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

I suggest you buy it, if you haven't yet. The price is going to rise as the game comes closer to version 1.0, and you still get the updates.

Some of the mods are nice as well, if you haven't tried them.

20. inokichi

inokichi Murse

I bought a licence yesterday because I got up to level 6 and was too addicted to stop. I'm definitely interested in the mods too, what sort of mods are around at the moment?

I'm still having a lot of fun riding around at full gallop, walloping an enemy with a mace and hearing the bad guys shout "DAMN YOU!!!" as another one of their number falls. The engine for this game is truly excellent. It's like the Operation Flashpoint of the medieval world.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007