Best martial arts in defending yourself knife attacks and guns?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by syfer, Aug 22, 2011.

1. shootodog

shootodog restless native

agreed but i'd be busy too if faced with a knife.

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

The American military has been using E-tools in combat for decades now.

On the Deadliest Warrior episode of Green Beret vs. Spetsnaz, you can see a former SF soldier cleave a skull in two with the standard issue US E-tool.

I'm interested in the Crovel nowadays, I'd like to see one in person and get a feel for it.

[​IMG]

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

ME WANTY!!!!!!

4. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I am talking about busy...meaning elaborate

I did like how (as it supposed to be) how the gap was being closed

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Sucker can chop a pig in half too. Saw it on Doomsday Preppers.

6. Hannibal

It is currently second to my CS Warhammer...but a close second

7. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Z-Day equipment right there Kuma.

8. Hannibal

Dammit Kuma now look what you've done!!!! You've given me another site to **** away my sons inheritance!!!

9. shootodog

now that's something i'd like to get my hands on!

10. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Er you want to get you hands on Kuma's tool? :eek:

Better clear it with his misses first I think!

11. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I've still got one of these somewhere.

[​IMG]

Not a cold steel one though but Kuma's post has made me think I need to upgrade.

12. shootodog

those i have in spades :p

13. RobP

RobP Valued Member

Some shovel work about halfway through this

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BXsLRD6hcrA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BXsLRD6hcrA[/ame]

14. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Best martial arts in defending yourself knife attacks and guns?

BodyArmor Do

15. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Although it may look complicated (simultaneous 'block' and hit followed by cross hand scoop to get to the outside), the same motions and principles can be employed across most weapon combinations at the same range (mid range).

Furthermore, this 'drill' is actually a framework in which the feeder can add any angle of primary weapon (in this case knife) attack, empty hand attack (stab then punch/grab), low line kicks/stomps, head hurts, and the receiver can add intercepting strikes (the 'third hand' in the video), kicks/stomps, (large) joint manipulation and off-balancing (dumog) to lead to the finish.

As the drill flows well, the receiver gets lots of reps in a short space of time, and, with gradually increasing resistance, the receiver develops an understanding of what elements work for them

This nicely highlights a few core principle in FMA: counter attack (not just defend), learning one concept and applying it to many scenarios, a flowing drill to complete many repetitions, gradually increasing options (for both attack and counter) and gradually increasing resistance to build the bridge between 'naked technique' and full on sparring.

I hope this is helpful in explaining the tapping drills - of course no martial art is best and no amount of training will turn you in to Wolverine (no matter how much I want it to)...

16. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Aye, it's hardly more "elaborate" than a jab-cross-hook boxing combo. The FMA entry and the boxing combo are the same three step sequence: lead hand, rear hand, lead hand.