Best martial arts in defending yourself knife attacks and guns?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by syfer, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Yep!

Although it was the same Chris Pizzo who was "Captain Chris"

2. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

who was his sparring partner MF Doom ?

3. Hannibal

See edit above....sadly this douchebag is still around

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

He was on the SEAL Wall of Shame for a long time. He passed himself off as a SEAL many times before the word got out. Now he admits he never made it through BUD/S. Now, I'm sure everyone's situation is different, but he blames a ruptured eardrum on his failure. I got a ruptured eardrum in 2003 in Iraq and still had to finish up my deployment. They just gave me antibiotics and stuff for the pain, and it healed up in about 2 months.

5. Ozma

Ozma Valued Member

Steven Seagal is an Aikido practitioner. For real Self Defence against knife and gun attacks, i would suggest doing Krav Maga. If Krav is not available, you could try Muay Thai/Muay Boran (If your'e lucky), or AikiJutsu.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  6. kurupt2020

kurupt2020 Valued Member

I would agree with daaskapital i am learning krav maga we do alot of work with knife defence and knife disarming . its simple and very effective

7. Hannibal

Anytime I hear "knife disarming" mentioned I have to kill a kitten...why do you hate kittens?

8. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Sorry but I cannot see this. Nothing is as simple or effective as one thinks when it comes to weapons, and things tend to get messy, fast, when they're is a weapon involved. Weapon disarms themselves are purely moves out of desperation, when all other options are exhausted. Perhaps you could display a video on this knife "defense" and "disarm" you speak off, so I could get a better understanding of what you;re talking about?

9. Ozma

Ozma Valued Member

I am not a practitioner of Krav Maga, but i can show you some videos regarding knife defence in Krav Maga:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIx6l7GEYZY"]Israeli Krav Maga knife defense in Kernersville NC - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdHrIpNuQDk"]Krav Maga Defense for Overhead Stab to the Dead Side - YouTube[/ame]

Be mindful, the videos posted here are from different organisations, and as such, techniques may vary.

10. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

It is worse for me when I hear "gun defenses". I go out shooting a gun and trying to "curve a bullet" but keep hitting hardcore sociopaths near a hospital

11. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Thank you, I appreciate the videos. First video is alright. That hold on the arm doesn't look exactly secure and I can visualize the knife guy squirming out. Keep in note though that I'm armchair criticizing. The second video is questionable as well. My biggest question is that there really isn't anything something the knife guy from retaliating, whether it's pushing and squirming around, or bopping the person.

Frankly, I'd stay away from the knife defenses and just cooperate with the attacker, grab something large and heavy, or just go learn some Kali/Arnis.

12. shootodog

shootodog restless native

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN7CydJqGRk"]Pekiti Tirsia Knife Tapping Explained - YouTube[/ame]

please try fma.

13. shootodog

segal is movie-fu.

you mean krebbikrebong, right? i mean linglom and it's son krebbikrebong would be more applicable than muay.

as for aikijutsu, yeah ok but that would take time. lots of it.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  14. 47MartialMan

Although I like how the defender gets his body in close and uses the shoulder as pressure-leverage, the blocking, parrying, and certain attacks are just "too busy"

I thought I even seen the defender making hand contact with the blade while trying to block

15. 47MartialMan

I nevered liked defense against the overhead knife attack.

The knife attacks I been in and observed in the street, NO ONE has ever attacked in a overhead manner

16. Ozma

Ozma Valued Member

I agree with that. More than likely, an attacker will lunge from torso height with the blade pointing at the victim. Still, however, i feel that it is an important techniques to learn.

17. 47MartialMan

I don't think a overhead knife attack is important. But I guess the same tactic could be applied ti a overhead cudgel attack

18. shootodog

he's not blocking it. he's tapping it. and it happens. better the hand than something else.

19. 47MartialMan

Still-Looks too busy. Yes- better the hand then something else. Better nothing at all than the hand

20. komuso

komuso Valued Member

Shovel fighting?

seriously Kurtka? There is shovel fighting? Where can I go to participate in this ultimate blending of the martial and gardening arts?

paul

imagine the ratings if this was both for real AND televised!