Best martial arts in defending yourself knife attacks and guns?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by syfer, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

But really like 90% of the curriculum is shovel fighting, backflipping hatchet throws and raiding moving buses.

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I guess you can judge a book by its cover....since the author name is there

3. Demain

Demain Valued Member

It is not so much about the martial art, as it is about the principles that are taught.
    Example: Tim Larkin's target focused training teaches you that instead of trying to play
    tug-of war with the knife or gun, strike to the throat and he will stop.
    His teaching is very controversial to laymen because he teaches to stop violence with
    violence. He has been in real kill or be killed combat. He was a navy seal. He is great.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You mean fighting? Now who'd have thought it?

5. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

I don't see it as controversial, just extremely overpriced !!!

6. Simon

Is this the same Tim Larkin whose website says the following:

I assume he's never heard of talking down a situation.

Is this the same Tim Larkin who offers a DVD home course and distance learning (two of my pet hates in the martial arts)?

7. Demain

Demain Valued Member

It is the same Tim Larkin that was just on the cover of blackbelt magazine.
    why do you always assume so much in this forum?
    No, he believes in talking down the situation. He says it is when you have no choice.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  8. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I've done it, not been stabbed though but that's not due to training just luck.

Back when i did it I got told, by my teacher, to go to Canada spend sometime with Vlad and get permission/certificate thingy, to start my own study group. In the grand scheme of things though that actually means very little.

So whilst not being any major player I think I've seen some of it.

Never liked the knife defence always felt too risky with not enough control, not to mention all the problems with floppy training partners.

Got some good stuff from the art but if you are set on learning it I feel it's probably better suited to learning after you have a solid grounding elsewhere.

Some of the drills and physical fitness stuff was good, break falling was very good, IMO.

I'm no expert though but I wouldn't go back to it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  9. shootodog

shootodog restless native

i am wary of people recommending arts that they have not taken nor have they been directly exposed to.

as for sambo, i have attended a seminar or two. sambo rocks.

10. Simon

This shows an absolute lack of understanding and is more about selling his onlne product than teaching self defence.
    Avoidance should be the very first thing you do. Verbal de-escalation should be the very backbone of all self defence courses.

It is not about what we assume, it is about what we have learnt over many years training.

You came here and promptly run across the boards offering poor advice. When questioned the best you could do was copy something from Wikipedia. Hardly something I would expect from someone who claims to have trained with some of the worlds best martial artists, and someone who had been teaching for most of their life (your words).

So do you have a website we can check out, or is there an instructor who can verify your background?

11. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Arkadiy Stepankovskiy died not necessarily because of his system, but because of poor situational awareness. Agreeing to meet other individuals at night behind a closed business is a bad idea. For his troubles he got badly beaten and then shot to death (he wasn't stabbed, the other fellow he was with was though). I hate to armchair quarterback, but a little foresight goes a long way.

As for Tim Larkin - anyone who gets ousted as a fraud for pretending to be a SEAL gets no respect from me. And his TFT system is basically just rehashed SCARS.

12. Demain

Demain Valued Member

Do you have a link to that story?

13. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Which one?

14. Demain

Demain Valued Member

The one that you said -- As for Tim Larkin - anyone who gets ousted as a fraud for pretending to be a SEAL

15. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

16. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

The Stepankovskiy story link would be interesting too.

It could be a case of lack of awareness caused by a case of over confidence.

17. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Or as it seems, classic case of Martial artist who helps a friend in dire need and things go sour.
    Gunner to far for disarm, etc.

18. RobP

RobP Valued Member

What do you know about it?

If anyone thinks that any training makes them stab proof, hit proof, will never fall over or can't ever be taken to the ground...then they have either never done any training outside of a computer game or train at a very poor school.

From personal experience I know our training is effective, but outside of outright prevention, it's all about damage limitation when you get into a situation, especially when weapons are involved

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Did someone mention Tim Larkin?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....no

What's next? Jim Wagner? Captain Chris? Lieutenant X? Ashida Kim???

20. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

please tell me some snake oil selling fake self defence guy actually billed himself as Lieutenant X ?