Best martial arts in defending yourself knife attacks and guns?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by syfer, Aug 22, 2011.

1. syfer

syfer New Member

Hi what’s the best martial arts in defending yourself knife attacks and guns?
    I show that Steven Seagal in some of his movies you see him combating knives and guns but I want to find what martial arts tech this so can anyone tell me?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Another gun or knife

3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Against knives specifically, probably kali or eskrima, as they pretty much deal with those from day 1.

4. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Knife and gun disarms are desperation tactics. You're better off giving your money to the mugger or finding something sturdy to hit him with. Oh, and movies are movies, meant to be flashy, not effective. Go study Eskrima or boxing or something like that. You're more likely to be attacked barehanded then a knife, let a lone a gun. And depending on where you leave, your attacker will have friends.

5. syfer

syfer New Member

is their any place in glasgow that does this?

6. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

The whole town, from what I hear.

7. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Since you're in the UK, defensive pistol courses are out. And really, that would be the way to go.

A good knife fighter can and will circumvent the best knife defences you can learn. It's really quite trivial to do if you know what you're doing. In fact, you can learn how to deal with most knife defences with a day or two of training assuming you're aggressive and athletic and actually willing to use a knife.

I'm not saying don't learn them. I know people who've used them and it saved their lives. Good thing they weren't facing canny knife fighters though. It might have turned out otherwise.

The Matokokai teaches traditional Aikido, not the Aiki-bunny stuff. Hard training by all accounts. The late great Bill Coyle (aka Koyo) used to run it, and I've no doubt they are maintaining his high standards. Training there wil be good in and of itself, and give you a good foundation to study other arts should you find them.

Best regards,

-Mark

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  8. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Flame throwers. Just the fact that you're wearing one is usually enough of a deterrent.

9. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Create distance find cover and pray !!!

:woo::woo:

10. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Yep. My good friend and training partner Gerry 'C-Celtic Dog' Casey teaches a Kali class at the Griphouse. Follow the dog brothers link in my sig to the classes section.

11. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

OK as much as I love Glasgow (and I do) that made me laugh !!!!

12. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

There is no empty hand martial art on earth that will defend you against a knife or gun attack. So, what to do?
    Train a good and realistic fighting art against increasing resistance.
    Get as fit and as strong and as fast as you can.
    Train a knife art as well, if you want, but watch out for BS (what i've seen of Dog Bros. looks pretty good to me also Koyo's Matokokai).
    Avoidence- don't be in the sort of places where knife and gun crime happen (Duh!)

Sorry, it really is as unsexy as that.
    P.S. Steven Seagal movies are not real (Duh! again).

13. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

^^^This is why our knife defence material is called 'Die Less Often'.

14. embra

embra Valued Member

In Glasgow the bairns start using knives and guns to get their milk bottles, and progress onto the hardstuff at primary school.

15. syfer

syfer New Member

Hi can you tell the url of traditional Aikido.

16. Rider

Rider Everybody loves cakes! :D

I've heard krav maga is pritty good with its weapon disarm techniques when it comes to guns, knifes...and other weapons

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It's ok - nothing more, nothing less

18. Rider

Rider Everybody loves cakes! :D

Hmmmm...im not an expert on it...but i certain think it has better defence than some other martial arts and could better prepare you...but in the end i wouldn't like to be tested against anyone with a knife using knife defence...unless i have a handgun

19. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Its actually fairly crap.

Freeform's suggestion sounds the best to me :cool:

20. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Regardless of the martial art, whether or not one art does it better then the other, in the end knife defense/disarm/steals/ect are really desperation techniques to be executed when every other option is exhausted.

I'd much rather prefer to deal with a knife attack by complying, if it was a mugging. Running, if I could. Or grabbing anything, preferably sturdy and decently sized, and smacking the aggressor silly.

Or you could train with the Matokokai. That suffices as well :)