Best Martial Art For A Street Situation.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by mkultra, Jul 13, 2010.

1. mkultra

mkultra Valued Member

So I'm a pretty big guy, I'm 6'4", and I weigh about 246 lbs, and I'm not even overweight, I have a little weight I could lose, but its just a little beer belly, but I'm a Endomorph Somatotype which means I will always be a big stocky bloke and that attracts a lot of negative attention from thugs.

I live in a major UK city, and when you are a big intimidating looking guy (which I'm not proud of, I just look like that), then there are a lot of people who want to fight me, just out of the blue people come up to me and start shoving me around and getting violent with me for no reason, I just get "C'mon big man!!, I'm not scared of you, c'mon fight me!! you big ****ing pussy", and because of the way I look I get this at least 3-4 people every time, and that's not an exaggeration because 3-4 is the average, but I have had a night where 8 people started on me out of the blue, because if somebody takes on the big guy then that makes them look tough.

Even though these people are ******s, they are right because I am a pussy, I can't fight for ****.
    I'm not a violent guy, and when I'm out I'm not loud, I'm not throwing my weight around I'm not cocky or arrogant if you met any of my friends they would tell you that I'm a nice, quiet, calm guy, and that I wouldn't hurt a fly.
    And that's the problem, even though I don't really want to change my persona, I do want to be able to defend myself in a fight, because whenever somebody starts on me I freeze up and pussy out straight away and I want to change that, I don't mind shrugging off some idiot insulting me, but when people actually start getting physical with me, I want to be able to handle myself, without trying to make myself a macho thug just being able to have an actual chance at defending myself.

And also...

I have been held at knife point 4 times, I have been mugged by a mob of people twice, and so far I haven't been stabbed or had 8-12 people beating the **** out of me in a group, but I have been in a few situations where that was quite possible that could have happened, and at the time I wasn't sure it would.

So I was wondering what the best martial art for my situation is?

Cheers.

2. mkultra

mkultra Valued Member

Also, even though this is a MA forum, I'm not a big MA fan.

I don't mind dedicating a lot of time to this, when I want something, which this is something I want, I do work hard for my goals, so I will dedicate myself to this.

But what I'm trying to say is, what MA is more about street defence, and less about breaking wooden boards with my hands or doing round house kicks?

Cheers.

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

MMA

4. mkultra

mkultra Valued Member

ok???

5. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I would suggest judo and I realise it may not be effective against knife or multiple opponents BUT it will definately toughen you up and get you used to physical encounter.

It is the perfect base art. perhaps the club may have a self defence element too which would be perfect for you.

I began with judo and shotokan karate and now teach aikido BUT I have NEVER regretted my time spent in judo.

6. PHILBERT

PHILBERT Valued Member

Kendo.

Honestly, it depends on the school. MMA does teach the most "combat" in terms of actually fighting, however, MMA schools train for sport which is a down side.

MMA schools for example rarely, if ever, emphasize things like multiple attackers or weapons.

I've been to about 4 MMA schools, only 1 showed any training with multiple attackers and/or weapons. The first one I trained at. The instructor flat out said "If someone has a knife, if you can't get away use anything as a weapon." He spit on me and threw a book at my face that he was holding then tackled me, the force of the tackle knocked the knife from my hand.

7. Moi

It's no B/S, no boards, no bowing, just learning to fight & giving you confidence. You won't learn weapon disarms but that sort of thing is likely to get you killed anyhow

8. mkultra

mkultra Valued Member

Thanks, I was thinking on this Muay Thai gym that's about 30 min drive from my house.
    I used to be a boxer between the ages 13-15, but since then I have lost all my confidence with all that kind of stuff, and the only reason I did it is because my dad insisted that I did some kind of boxing.

I have looked into some Judo, but I heard it wasn't as good in an IRL situation because it teaches you to pin people facing up whereas stuff like Krav Maga, BJJ and JJJ teaches you to pin them facing down, but I didn't like the ideas of doing anything like the JJ's because they focus on training for competition rather than training for a real life situation that you would use your skills for.

I don't think there are any Judo Dojos (sorry if Dojo isn't the correct term for Judo) in my area, there might be, but I was thinking of asking the MT place if they will let me train and spar, but not enter me into any competition or leagues or anything.

When you say MMA do you mean the kind of stuff they use in UFC?

9. rivend

rivend Valued Member

I just have to ask where are the police at when all this is happening to you. The police in my area live for someone trying to do these things to someone and they deal with them accordingly.

10. Moi

That's right. Muay Thai gym sounds good too. That training will be much like your boxing only with more tools

11. Moi

That's funny they just clean up the mess here

12. mkultra

mkultra Valued Member

I don't know where the police are lol.

They usually show up when I call them after it has happened.

I know it sounds kinda stupid, but because I am a student I live in a pretty ghetto area where thugs love to hang out and mug and rob us or just for the hell of it beat the crap out of us.

Also I'm really into live music and the venues are in pretty crappy areas for some reason, so most of my problems with this kind of stuff happen when I am walking home from a gig because I cant afford taxis and buses don't run that late.

13. mkultra

mkultra Valued Member

That's cool.

I have been looking for MMA clubs in my city online, but I have had no luck so far.

14. Moi

I'm almost certain there'll be one somewhere close to you. Search for MMA now

15. mkultra

mkultra Valued Member

16. Moi

They'll take begineers and they have two fighters on the show posted in their events section which is always a good sign. Whoever proofed the poster needs shooting mind. Marshall arts???

17. Seviko

Seviko Enlightened

with your height and reach..Muay Thai is the best art for you..Legs, Knees, Fists, Elbows..You learn the clinch to. Judo is good to but you wont have the lower centre of gravity in a fight against smaller people which can be a disadvantage.

18. PHILBERT

PHILBERT Valued Member

Be very, very careful though when researching MMA clubs. A lot of schools have hopped on the MMA bandwagon and teach a few "moves" then claim to be an MMA club.

A recent study I did, and by study I mean I looked in Google, turned up:

8 schools in my city alone of 370,000 people. Of those, the following are also taught at the schools.

5 teach Tae Kwon Do
    7 teach Muay Thai
    2 teach Judo, but neither of which give any information on what rank the instructor has in Judo.

Only 1 school exclusively trained in BJJ. Gi/no gi training.

Now, I haven't visited each of these schools, and I know which schools are 100% legitimate (including 1 or 2 that teach Tae Kwon Do) but there are some TKD schools out there that are jumping on the MMA bandwagon.

19. Maelstrom_AC

Maelstrom_AC Valued Member

I would recommend Krav Maga if you can find a good instructor around you. They'll focus on self defense scenarios such as defending against a knife or facing multiple attackers. They should also teach you how to try to de-escalate a potential conflict, and if not possible then how to cause maximum damage/pain and then get away quickly. The point is always to come to as little harm as possible, so generally once you are able to escape you should.

20. mkultra

mkultra Valued Member

I think I will start out with the Muay Thia training first.

But I know of a great martial arts shop which the guy who runs it knows a lot about the clubs and I will speak to him to see what the legitimate MMA clubs in the area.

Cheers.

Btw, does anybody know of any sites where I can get Vegan/Non-Leather MMA gear from?