Best knife defence?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by idols11, Jun 8, 2015.

1. idols11

idols11 Valued Member

Agreed, fighting against a knife is a last resort. Best option is to run away.

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Getting cut less, and in less lethal places seems like a pretty sweet deal to me! ;)

3. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

I wouldn't even use it wearing maille. This was the age of plate, albeit not the impenetrable Gothic plate. :) But JJJ likely has holdovers from Japanese armoured combat.

When did it enter the syllabus? Perhaps it entered through contact with JJJ. Apparently (according to Rory Miller) the closed-fist strikes entered some Karate styles comparatively late. It's entirely possible the cross-block is a later addition, or as a holdover from indigenous Okinawan military arts. I don't know jack about Karate's history.

From what I've seen of Fiore, he shows the cross block against a high descending attack, just like I learned in Arnis. He shows an uncrossed two-hand stop against a low thrust, very similar to WWII combatives. I couldn't find him using the low cross against a low thrust.

Interestingly enough, Fiore was used as a part of Italy's WWI unarmed combatives, which was a great idea considering the medieval nature of a lot of WWI trench warfare.

4. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

I know they're translations but I really love the florid the linguistics you find in HEMA manuals.

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

i agree. I think it should be written into the TOS that every poster has to write in that style.

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Better than that, not getting into that situation in the first place

7. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

8. blindside

blindside Valued Member

In many cases I wonder if the prevalence of "x-blocks" is partially generated by bad or MIS transmission. In FMA there are several actions that could be interpreted as a "x-block" if taught poorly or learned out of a book. The "jam then pass" of hubud against the downward psycho knife attack which might be taught as an upward then extended outward block in a karate system has a snapshot which looks like an x-block when the arms are crossed. The Dog Brother's dogcatcher is a variation of the low line x-block, albeit done with lots of forward pressure. I could see that turn into a crappy static x-block with a couple generations of bad instruction without the ability to do video pressure.

9. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

I think that's pretty on the money actually, particularly with some training traditions where what you see isn't necessarily the skill you're supposed to walk away with - some koryu for instance. As you said proper pressure testing ought to 'reveal' the skill sets that are built in to some techniques but a few generations of chinese whispers can really ruin that idea

10. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

I would have to agree with that as well!

11. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

800m sprints are the best knife defense.

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Its likely your jjj was based of karate and judo.

So its lucky it worked!

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Not at my age!!!

14. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i think 100m would do.

15. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

A) it's a movement in a form. It's not necessarily a specific technique in a specific context. As Blindside said there are various hand fighting applications where the X is very brief, and there are grappling applications.
    B) in the Southern Chinese martial culture that Karate came from vambraces were common
    c) the unarmoured Okinawan vs Samurai story needs to be taken with a kilo of salt.

16. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Is it me or does it seem odd that knife defense practiced decades ago in martial arts hardly reflected those in the military of that same past era?

17. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Some thoughts on knife defence:

1. You may not see the knife until it is too late (or indeed feel it - plenty of anecdotes of people getting cut and not realising it until later). So if you train for self-defence, you should think about how that changes things
    2. You will end up in a grappling match (because you are going to try to control the knife or limb) - and as we know that can often end up on the floor, so think positional work on the ground and how the knife changes things
    3. Getting cut is rarely instantly fatal - if you get cut you are quite capable of continuing to fight and should expect to do so

Personally I am keen on avoidance, pre-emptive strikes and 'dirty boxing' (wrist control on the weapon hand and putting in all the strikes I can with whatever is free), in that order (actually with avoidance 1st, 2nd and 3rd and the rest trailing a long way behind)

18. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Best thing I've heard for ages, cheers

19. Barnacles

Barnacles New Member

Social cues and environmental awareness (i.e. is this stranger reaching behind himself and did he just say "I'm going to stab you!"?), followed by a swift and heavy jaw breaker of an overhand. X-block if you want, or cross block, or side block, or elbow block, or building block if you want, just don't get stabbed. :D

20. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

X-block for knife defense? Aka standing in the path of the blade while opening yourself up to attacks from the aggressors other hand. Sounds like a great technique.

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vIqhMwyAs6c"]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vIqhMwyAs6c[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015