best ima teacher in sydney

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by johann, Jun 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gerard

gerard Valued Member

Azrael, my Chinese teacher has trained for 15 years with grandmaster's Chen son. He's also my friend, so I am glad I am learning from a Chinese lineage and not from a smart ass. Also the purpose of my post is not to show that he's the best because certainly there are other respectable sifus in Sydney area in the field of IMA.

Gan bei

2. Azrael

Azrael Fighting Spirit

Gerard - Thanks for clearing that up. Hmmm, just wondering if that means your teachers teacher is Chen Ying Jun? By the way, what do you mean by smartass?

Please also allow me to add that the second paragraph of my post was not aimed at you, it was simply feelings of mine I wanted to add to this thread, and it was addressed to anybody who cared to read it.

Cheers!

3. johann

johann New Member

Another question how out of these teachers has sparring happening at class?

4. noblenicky

noblenicky New Member

johann,
    Sparring? Each teacher has their own curriculum on when they want to introduce sparring. However, in taiji, sparring is often in the form of push hands and/or chen village grappling.

gerard,
    Isnt Chen Peng Fei still in high school? If he is the one, he is in about Year 11, which means he is about 15-16 yrs old right now. How does your teacher study with him for 15 yrs? (No disrespect intended, just questions).

Azrael,
    I have heard Chen Ying Jun's name. Have you meet him personally? How's his skill?

5. Azrael

Azrael Fighting Spirit

Johann - The advanced students at Yang Zhen Hua's school spar as part of their continued development, but there is not a whole lot I can say regarding this as I myself am still a little way off being an advanced student. Kingsley Fong is also big on pushing hands, but he does not spar.

noblenicky - No, I've never met him myself, although an older kung fu brother of mine has trained with both he and his father, and had nothing but the highest of praise. He was somewhat less impressed with some of their long term students, but that could have been for any number of reasons.

6. gerard

gerard Valued Member

My teacher trained with the young boy because he is friends with the sifu's family. He also trained with other people close to the family, including sifu's wife.

Take care.

7. hiddendragon

hiddendragon New Member

Sydney people

Hi!

I'm a little bit late, have been in Europe for a few months. Do you still meet up for Yum Cha? Is there anybody of you who does Chen style? I'm studying privately with Chen Ying Jun and he is great. I'm looking for people to practise together and do push hands training :cool:

8. Marco O

Marco O New Member

Okay so i'm biased...

But since he is my instructor, i'd have to go with Gary Martin in Moorebank (near Liverpool).

Before i started training i always thought of the concept of IMA to be weak man's excuse for martial arts, but since i started a couple of years ago, it has given me an entirely new perspective on these arts.

Gary in particular is a very motivating person and knows how to push you that little further when your body refuses to move.

Recently he was awarded the rank of Grandmaster, becoming Australia's first in our arts.

As i said though, i am a little biased....

9. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

Thread is two years old. The original poster hasn't been back since 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.