Best hip loosening excersises?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by airweaver, Jan 11, 2014.

1. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

My right hip doesnt seem to want to relax, more specificlly the area just to the right of my groin. Its a knot of muscle which goes down to the inner side of my knee and down my leg into my big toe. Anyone know any excersise/postures which target this area? Thanks.

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I'd try a hula hoop?
    Check VD's flexibility bits too :)

3. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

If it's an actual knot, rather than a tight muscle or cramp, you might want to consider consulting your doctor. Otherwise, Hatha Yoga - or Iyengar Yoga, but in the case of Iyengar, slow and not too strict - and tell your teacher you're suffering.

4. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I have a nei-gong set that works the softness and range of motion of the joints. I'm teaching tomorrow morning, so I'll try and get a video made up then.

But, I think the key is to not think of it as an issue in isolation - it may be connected to a whole host of other muscular tensions etc.

5. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

Great stuff Dan - I'd like to see that too.

Is it Chi Kung?

6. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

lunges and adductor exercises might help if it's a muscle issue.

7. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Is something anyone can do or do you need to have chi first? ;)

I am looking for different ways to open up my hips.

8. Dan Bian

Haha,

Chi is absolutely NOT needed for anything I do :)

It's quite a simple series, and each stage by itself doesn't look like a lot, but together they can work wonders.

9. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

Acupuncture causes the muscles to submit and relax, you could try that.

If your muscles are tense it will nip/sting very slightly when they put the needles in - certainly not unbearably painful - after a few weeks, the pain will go away as subtle tension will have fallen away.

I don't think it's effective on knots though - probably light exercise and stimulation of the area with massage and such like would help?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  10. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

You could try these yoga poses Boris.

Warrior:

[​IMG]

Downward-facing Dog:

[​IMG]

With downward-facing dog, if you can't get that shape exactly, don't worry about it. If your heels won't stay on the ground, just let them rise naturally and relax into it. I found a key with this posture was to relax the upper back and try and allow it to sink towards the floor i.e. shoulders dip in towards the floor...it's a nice relaxing feeling in the upper-spine...then, transfer weight into the wrists/hands, while dropping the shoulders and this'll help loosen up the lower joints.

(I also found continually dropping tension from the postures to be key in Yoga.)

You need a non-slip surface to make this work effectively, certainly more non-slip than a carpet, otherwise you'll just keep sliding into a laying down position. There can be quite an amount of lateral force in the hands and feet to start with.

11. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

rolling pin - roll your leg

12. Bozza Bostik

Yeah - I've done some yoga so I know the positions.

Don't wanna take this too off topic but winter has just hit us which means that my outdoor cardio time might be reduced. so I am gonna spend a bit more time on flexibility, mobility, core work etc etc.

13. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

Thanks all I'll check out some of those poses.

14. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

Here's some more on the Warrior pose(s), it's quite dynamic/mobile, which will help target the problem area - good for core strength, flexibility and mobility (don't worry about the opening pose i.e. hand on the floor, leg in the air - it's just an intro to the vid):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCReePaPF50"]Yoga: Warrior 1, 2 & 3[/ame]

btw, although there is stretching in Yoga, it's not the same as some dynamic stretching you encounter - yes, you have your feet as a distance to encourage stretching and you often reach away - but we are usually relaxing into the pose, and allowing gravity and relaxation to encourage the development - except where we reach away. There's no bouncing, or overt forcing stretches (sometimes assist by applying a little pressure). Generally: Release tension, relax into the posture, reach away, allow the posture to support your weight, and repeat.

15. Dan Bian

Apologies for the delay,

I tried to make this on Sunday, but my video camera died, and my phones battery was dead too :(

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmbRqvoHWLM"]9 Circles Neigong - YouTube[/ame]

16. Bozza Bostik

About bloomin' time....I've sat here waiting since Sunday!!!

But i'll forgive you. Thanks.

17. Ros Montgomery

Ros Montgomery Valued Member

...or, indeed, anything else. :D

18. CloudHand

CloudHand New Member

I got sciatic on the left side while doing Yoga once. I then picked up Tai Chi which I left off a long time ago. I saw immediate improvement in my symptoms and eventually was totally recovered. I have since given up Yoga and concentrated on Tai Chi. Both systems are great and have benefits; Tai Chi works for me. I recommend Tai Chi exercise and see if it helps you.