Best High Intentesity exercise

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by zombiekicker, Jan 28, 2013.

1. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

ive been known (to myself at least to do it for an hour minimum, sometime two with the right music on my phone, but now im thinking i should use that time more effectively maybe 30 minutes on rebounder a day for the health benefits (lymphatic system, muscle density etc) and get some HIIT in most days, dont need to warm up for it, its low impact

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

the warm up isnt just to warm the muscles up, to to warm the heart up and get your heart rate to a steady pace, it normally takes atleast 10 minutes (sometimes close to 20) to hit a steady heart rate before you should start doing your conditioning, 30 minutes to an hour is more than enough for the health benifits keep your heart rate between 130-150bpm for the aerobic stuff.

as for doing HIIT most days, that depends on your other training and your condition but give it a go and see how it effects you, but remember you have other options to HIIT if you want to train harder than you are now

3. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

cheers am gonna try those loaded carries, need to buy a big bag of salt or summat

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

, you can also do do aerobic heavy resistance intervals , threshold work for extended periods, Tempo intervals, high intensity continuous intervals etc all of these will be more challenging than LSD and will aid weight loss still be largely aerobic which means you can do them more frequently than HIIT stuff or alongside some HIIT work without fear of burn out

anyway good luck and have fun

5. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I'll look some off that stuff up cheers

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

my favourite HIIT running program:

Monday - 4 x 400 m uphill Sprints
    Must be uphill entire route.
    Run as fast as possible for the first 400 and try to beat your time (impossible) in the next rounds.
    Walk back down quickly after each round. rest to work ratio should be 1:1
    Add another round each week until 8x400m, then start again from 4x400m (usually in the 6th week).

Wednesday– 6 x 100 m Sprints
    Sprints as fast as you can each round, recommended morning (not uphill).
    As much rest as you want between rounds.

Saturday – 1 x 2 mile Timed Run
    Run as fast as possible for 2 miles (flat) and try to beat your time each week.

7. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

On Tuesday I upped my HIIT game on the treadmill

400m @ 9km/h (it doesn't let you start the high intensity stuff until you've done a 'lap' of the track.

200m @ 17km/h

100m @ 6.5 km/h

200m @ 17km/h

then rinse and repeat. I kept that up for about 10 minutes until I got a nasty stitch >_<

oddly enough the machine said I'd burnt less calories than I had on one of my previous treadmill sessions when I'd been bouncing between 7pm/h and 13km/h (which was more of a casual warm up rather than a specific HIIT session) and I'd been running for the same amount of time =/

8. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

i read that those counters on gym machines can be a bit suspect, the compnies that make the equipment want you to think its better than it is, your workout sounds cool though, :D

9. Kuniku

yeh I appreciate its probably not the most accurate way of doing it, part of the difference could be due to the weight I've lost in between - as the machine asks for my weight to count the calories etc and I'd lost a few kg in between

10. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I have a BIG hill near me, trouble is its muddy as hell, are running spike for mud or just track, would football boots be any good for running in the mud, i nearly fell on my but the other day just walking up it with the dog in normal trainers

11. Kuniku

yeh possibly not the best hill to run up when its muddy... don't wanna injure yourself =/

12. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

its flat as a pancake round here, no steps to speak of for rocky style antics

13. Kuniku

If you don't have hills for hill sprints, or a treadmill for that kinda thing, you could look at something like the tabata protocol but toned down slightly for more of a HIIT style than just kill yourself now style . . . lol

14. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

yeah i tried kettlebell swing with a timer, 20 seconds on 10 off for 4 minutes , bit of a killer, i can only do squats for so long, before my left knee gives out, definitely need to up my game though

15. Kuniku

16. Tin tin

Tin tin Valued Member

You need to be eating round 1500 to 2000 calories a day . He you don't and just starve you self your body will automatically store what food it gets and you'll never lose belly. As for mixing things up a bit these a couple of work out DVD's you can get.
    Px90 12 DVD's mix of weights and cardio
    Insanity 12 DVD's works all body , this one is just cardio
    I'm in middle of doing insanity it's good lost couple inches of my belly

17. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

just did 30 minutes fast jog on rebounder then 100 kettle bell swings 10 at a time with slight rest inbetween, not as evil as tabata and got my HR up to 150

18. Kuniku

I've found Kettle bell swings work really well hand in hand with Press Ups, one I did at training a couple of weeks ago was a non stop pyramid swing/press up combo

8 swings, drop down for 8 press ups
    10 swings, 10 press ups
    12 swings, 12 press ups
    14 swings, 14 press ups
    16 swings, 16 press ups
    then rest for 30s
    then count back down to 8; was pretty intense!

19. Tin tin

Tin tin Valued Member

So do you do this every day . Love to know what results you are getting.

20. Kuniku

No I'll admit I only did it the once, at Jujitsu training one of the guys who is truely besotted with KB's brought his collection in to show us some KB exercises, and that was one that he went through.

When I do my chest work outs at the gym I do 5 sets of 5 Reps at the bench press, get straight up and do 10 swings. (currently repping 70kg on the bench and swinging 20kg - unfortunately thats the biggest KB the gym has, might try moving on to swinging 2 KBs to up the weight)