Best High Intentesity exercise

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by zombiekicker, Jan 28, 2013.

1. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I like the look of loaded carries, dont think im quite upto carrying 150lbs just yet :eek:

2. Frozen Ghost

Frozen Ghost Valued Member

Personally I hate my interval sessions- I tend to start my workout with them and when they are done all the chained burpees, get ups ,atomic push-ups etc etc feel like a lesser Hell by comparison.
    It isn't for everyone and some people would rather watch tv on the treadmill for 45 minutes on a Sunday morning. ....Loser is a bit of a strong term and discouraging to the beginner- everyone has to start somewhere. I sure as Hell was not up for HIIT when I was unfit.

3. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

off to try some carries with my 16kg kettlebell and 28lb rucksack, its all i got at the moment

4. shootodog

shootodog restless native

You could try hill runs too.

5. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I always like to tell people who are just starting to workout, especially for the first time in their life to do some Tabata Sessions :p

Joking aside, monitoring your heart rate is a great way to judge the intensity you are doing and figure out the effectiveness of your workouts. If you're doing intervals (something like 1 min low intensity, :30 high intensity) then measure your heart rate at the end of the 1 min low, and the end of the :30 high for the first 1min and :30 sec, and at the last 1 min and :30 sec. A good way to figure out if you're ready to increase the intensity is when you start seeing less of a difference from your heart rate at the beginning of the interval training to the end. At that point you can start tweaking things, like bumping up to :45 high intensity, or if you're doing an exercise circuit you can start doing more difficult exercises or moving at a faster pace.

6. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

I do my HIIT on the treadmill, but I do it by distance ran on the track, I've got it up to 100m low intensity to 200m high intensity (sometimes 300m - depending how fast the high intensity is set at) although I'm going to try boosting the speed right up and see how I get on - I think i'm now comfortable enough ont he treadmill to up the speed to a sprint rather than a fast jog ^_^

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Ok, loser was a bit harsh. How about 'low intensity cardio is for eternally fat people'.

If people are very unfit, then they should spend a few weeks easing into it, but ultimately, spending 45 minutes on a treadmill will only make you good at running for 45 minutes on a treadmill. They'll see results for a few weeks, but after that, it's plateau city for them.

I have very little patience for people who complain about exercise being too much effort. It's not supposed to be easy.

8. Ero-Sennin

You also have to keep in mind that overweight people aren't always able to just go out and start doing any form of cardiovascular exercises with impact (Like running or skipping rope). Often times the extra weight changes the way they walk, run, jump, ect. and can lead to injury, intense discomfort (especially in the joints), and a lowered enthusiasm and willingness to continue with an exercise program.

Sometimes, starting off and maintaining a 45 min a day on the treadmill walking or cycling with an emphasis on diet and calorie counting until they are fit enough to start implementing different exercises is the best approach.

9. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Unless someone is very very overweight, there is some kind of high intensity exercise you can do.

People should start slow, yes, but once they're a few weeks in, they're better served by upping the intensity.

10. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

11. Ero-Sennin

Of course. I was just adding the bit I put in for further thought that you can't always have people starting off with HIIT when they are overweight. Upping the intensity may even involve going from 30 min at a slow pace to 45 min and up to an hour before you start adding light intervals. For some people that can take ages, but it's ok as long as they keep with it.

12. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

what ero said.

programming has to be smart. HIIT circuits involving impact is had for heavy rugby players who do have lots of muscle mass just from strain.

conversely, people with crappy muscular devellopment will get injured easy from HIIT.

HENCE PERIODISATION

hypertrophy and strength are good to develop early

many MA guys often can up their HIIT conditioning from more MA sessions same as rugby players running more drills.
    with rugby players many top teams use LSD running as pre and re-hab.

i dont do HIIT, i hit the barbell heavy and with organised rest and get most conditioning from mat time.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  13. pascalywood

pascalywood Valued Member

I almost puked just reading that part :D

Plyometrics are also pretty intense.

14. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

One way of losing weight

15. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

Bulimia ftw? =p

16. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

i think my strength and stamina would suffer, and me teeth :eek:

17. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

i just got my heart rate higher walking the dog down the seafront than an hour jogging on rebounder, time for a shake up of my routine

18. icefield

icefield Valued Member

out of interest what heart rate are you hitting on the rebounder and during the walk?

19. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

only 117 on rebounder, 120 for 20 minute dog walk, i just worked out my chest did 60 bodywieght squats with extra 28lbs on my back, Then 20 minutes on rebounder kept it around 140,so its maybe useful as an after workout tool?

20. icefield

icefield Valued Member

do you warm up before the rebounder at all or go cold straight into it? and is it normally 20 minutes on the rebounder or longer?