Best High Intentesity exercise

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by zombiekicker, Jan 28, 2013.

1. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Am working on getting rid of my beergut, i been doing lots of steady state cardio, and i do a dumbell split workout, but any ideas to mix it up think im at a plateau weight loss wise, im 15 stone and 5'11 , some days i only take in about 1000 calories, not drinking now so maybe its just time needed

2. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

ahh crap just looked at the title Intensity, is it that hard to spell

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

You may want to check out long distance running.

You may want to check out Tabata protocol too.

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

1000 calories isn't enough for your size, you've probably scared your body into starvation mode.

High intensity work is a good idea, mainly because steady state cardio is a waste of time. It doesn't really matter what exercise you do, so long as it is a compound movement and it makes you want to die. Try hill sprints or multiple sets of burpees.

5. hext

hext Valued Member

I agree, you may want to look at the Paleo/zone type diets, (i'm 6ft and was 17.5 stone, now 13.5).

I also found Crossfit is ideal if you don't know movements or a have a specific training regime in mind (ie. just want to get stronger and leaner)

6. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

so im doing more harm than good by starving myself? right im off to mcdonalds!! seriously though cheers, i tried running before, but my shins killed me, then again i have lost 4 stone since then, whilst putting on lean muscle, i tried kettlebell swing with an interval timer , they make me want to die, so every other day with those or if i can hack every day what do you reckon, i do squats with a 28lb rucksack on some days, maybe i need to eat more and do more

7. holyheadjch

It's what you eat as well as how much. Not all calories are created equal.

Every other day is probably enough so long as you're really going for it

8. shootodog

Try to study up on natural running or barefoot running or minimalist running.

9. shootodog

Also try to suppliment with pinole and chia seeds

10. hext

hext Valued Member

IMO this is spot on. 1 calorie from a big mac vs 1 calorie from steamed veg will be processed very differently

cutting out the processed and sugary foods will be very beneficial.

11. Frozen Ghost

Frozen Ghost Valued Member

That's a massive subject. But to give you a few things to look into-
    1) Fat/alcohol and other toxins are processed by your liver- it can't do everything at once- take on alcohol and no fat will be burned while its sorting that out, regardless of what you've done.
    2) Diet- less isn't always a good idea, as mentioned above going into starvation mode doesn't help..
    3) Commitment you can't continue as you are if you want to change and change isn't easy.
    4) insulin and recognising and cutting all added sugar from your diet - sugar spikes and its effect on your body.- Did you know lactose is a sugar in cows milk
    5)Caffeine excesses no more than 2 cups a day- look at cortisol and its effects
    6)Wheat isn't good- switch to sourdough bread

In brief - cut alcohol and processed foods out entirely- nothing with sugar added at all. Eat whenever you get hungry and don't worry how much- eat as much as you need without stuffing yourself. Drink lots- Green tea is good. Then keep up your exercise.

When you aren't spiking insulin all the time and suffering energy crashes and your liver isn't overloaded with jobs it can start focussing on stored fat and dealing with stored toxins.

If you can afford it hire a regular PT in the gym and tell him/her what you are doing.

- caveat, I am not a qualified advisor- this is just what I do and it works for me.

Good luck

12. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I was joking about mcdonalds lol i eat veg. Meat cottage cheese sardines etc. Cheers everyone

13. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Really can you post the evidence to back this up? if we are talking for fat loss then maybe you should go tell virtually every combat athlete and body builder out there as they use it for fat loss

14. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I also thought that steady state had some merit, i personally fast jog on a rebounder, no joint pain, good research on the benefits, i think a mixture of the two would work best, thats why i want intense workout ideas, i got my steady state, cheers

15. holyheadjch

Which bit? The starvation mode bit for the low intensity cardio is for losers bit?

16. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Depends on what you have access to, if you have access to a spin bike or a versaclimber set the resistance to as high as you can get or you are only getting 30rpm and do x2 x 10 minutes work sets with a break of 5 minutes between them, you will use a ton of fast and slow twitch fibers and sweat out a lot of calories
    If you don’t have access to the above do bike sprints or use any cardio machine, 30 seconds on 1.30 active rest and do for a total of 20-30 minutes for fat loss you need both volume and intensity

17. icefield

icefield Valued Member

the low intenisty cardio bit please

18. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

yeah i agree i might have overdone the low calorie thing, but im also interested, no steady state at all?

19. holyheadjch

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8028502

Elite level athletes use light cardio for recovery (it helps to cycle the toxins out of your body) and as a supplement to their high intensity work. The days of jogging for three hours before dawn are over, thank God.

20. holyheadjch

As above, use it mainly for recovery or because you enjoy doing it. It's not an efficient use of exercise time, which is why you always see fat women on the cross trainers in the gym.