Best food for muscle pain?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by LilBunnyRabbit, Nov 28, 2011.

1. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I am in a degree of mild agony today (not unhealthily so, but my back, shoulders and arms are definitely letting me know that they've been worked, with screaming, burning pain whenever I try to lift something).

So, since lunch is coming up, what would be recommended for the fastest possible recovery? Would a high concentration of protein for lunch actually help, given that this is due to an unusual dose of exertion for me, or should I be sticking to a normal meal?

Also, is adding a beer in a bad idea to help numb the pain?

2. righty

righty Valued Member

The protein will not help with todays DOMS but it may help build stronger muscles to make sure that pain is for a reason, so go ahead and eat it. Depends what you mean by 'higher concentration' a bit and what else you are eating but yeah.

Alcohol is a bad idea.

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Try an asprin sandwich.

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Steak, chips and a pint of dark porter seems to have done the trick. :)

5. brenda312

brenda312 New Member

I think you should stretch really good to ease the pain. Eat healthy and drink a lot of water. The stretching always helps me when i am sore. Don't over due it though. Take it slow

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Chocolate milk is pretty good apparently

7. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I've already overdone it. Just moving feels like stretching. :(

Keep that devil juice away from me!

8. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Weed brownies :) ... but only if it's legal where you live.
    Lots and lots of water. Your muscles really need it to recover. Protein won't help with soreness but you do need it for the muscles to repair. Make sure you get sufficient carbs and fats as well. Eat some avocados. They're high in good fats and zinc.

9. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

[​IMG]

what about plain milk though?

10. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

just a shed load of anyhting really bud, DOMS uses up more energy so you want to eat more.

also lots of water and some fish oil are a good idea.

11. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Even worse.

12. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

[​IMG]

13. TheSource1969

TheSource1969 Valued Member

Fruits and vegetables will help with your recovery faster. Eating more protein won't help. Extra virgin olive oil may help also.

14. Yeah? Really?
    Source of the study please.

Osu!

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Isn't DOMS the result if micro-tears in the muscles?
    Protein is used to repair damage.
    Ergo= Eat some protein?

16. I thought so too, but apparently, not everyone agrees with that. :)

Osu!

17. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Indeed, a bunch of extra carbs are also a good thing to help with recovery though, not an excuse to reach for the cake however!

Post workout I normally shoot for around 50g pro and 30g carbs unless I'm on an all out bulk then I go for an all you can eat buffet...

18. TheSource1969

TheSource1969 Valued Member

19. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i did this yesterday - i had a korean bbq. soo much protein and carbs.

today i have DOMS, walking is stretching and i feel hungry all the time and weak (although my hamstrings feel like iron).
    HELP TEH PAIN STEVE!

we need a magic bullet!

does chocolate work?

20. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

While it never hurts to get more veggies in... some of this is addressed if you supplement with something like ZMA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZMA_(supplement)

Interestingly enough... when I do supp with ZMA which is fairly regularly if training hard... I sleep like a rock. Deep deep sleep. It doesn't make me sleepy... but once I drift off... man it's on another level compared to my normal sleep. Not sure what causes that... so the deep sleep has me feeling a lot better as a result.

However if you read the link two interesting things pop up... that Victor Conte is involved in it (for those of you unfamiliar with the name look up the Balco Labs scandal)... and that studies don't actually support the claims... even on the study that Conte's company sponsored. (If I'm reading that incorrectly someone please chime in):