Best FMA Knife Systems that no one knows about?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Florete, May 2, 2015.

1. Florete

Florete Valued Member

I may do that. I've got as much as I can handle doing PTK, and am not really looking to add on. I am just curious to see what is out there that's good as it is a topic that I find interesting.

2. tim_stl

tim_stl Valued Member

I understand. The approach in Tres Puntos is different from what I've seen in PTK, so it may show a different perspective.

3. Viking

Viking Valued Member

Barako Batangueno

I read about this system in one of the articles published in Balisong Journal, couple of years ago. Here is the link

http://balisongplayer.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/batangas-knife-part-1-meeting-mr-saludo.html

I think it was published in series, like 7 parts.

I can see the following information Guro Jeff Davidson's website http://www.maphilindo.com/web/courses-offered.html

BARAKO BATANGUENO

A highly unorthodox, unpredictable and lethal style of edged weapons and firearms tactics born and bred in the infamous Batangas region of the Philippines. The Batangueno knife/gun fighter develops an intensely personal expression of the Art through mastery of an essential template sequence of 29 (vientenueve) basic cutting techniques applied with strategic footwork.

This style was passed to us by Manong Leon “Tito Jun” Saludo - one of the original surviving members of the group that “codified” this knowledge. Tito Jun is among the last generation of BATANGUENO blademasters who has truly LIVED his craft.

4. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Baraw sugbu was formerly known as diablo daga out of cebu city, Philippines.. It is a relatively unknown system in the states.. But there are a couple of schools out there.. I have seen private footage of the system previously and it was a real close tight in system.. It was almost shoulder to shoulder in the attack/defense drills

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Bozza, just searching through some old pictures and found one of Jay Dobrin taken during a seminar I was at.

Training with live blades as usual. When I say live blades I mean an axe and a machete. :eek:

Jay Dobrin.jpg

6. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

All good fun until someone loses an eye...or a limb.

By the way, I think you posted the same photo earlier in the thread. How's that boxing going? ;)

7. Yaakov001

Yaakov001 Valued Member

Sid Campbell, Gary Cagaanan, and Sonny Umpad wrote an interesting book on Visayan knife fighting. I grew up with knives, mostly switch-blade types, in my hands. Now I am trying to make the shift over to the Balisong. The fighting knowledge is the same. You just have to get the thing clear of your pocket and open. I'm getting good at that.

I should correct myself. The fighting PRINCIPLES are the same. Take out your opponent (non-lethally if possible), and don't die. But getting there seems to be a bit of a different road.

I've found that the East emphasises the preservation of life when possible, whereas in the West, the mindset is more, "kill 'em all, & let God sort it out."

Those are my thoughts on the matter, for whatever its worth.

8. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

When blades come out the idea of taking/trying to take someone out non-lethally gets a bit sticky.Or slippery.

Historically while both East and West have teachings purporting to compassion the reality is usually not so.