Best English gift card

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by righty, Feb 23, 2016.

1. righty

righty Valued Member

Hi folks,
    I tend to come here for advice from you British folk due to the high number of you around here :)

I have a friend who is going on a long working holiday. I know she is going to London but she is also going to travel a bit around the UK and Europe.

She is leaving soon and having a going away party so a few of us would like to get together to give her a little gift and I thought a local gift card would be nice.

Since we're not sure exactly where she is going, can anyone suggest a good general purpose gift card to get her? And that we might be able to purchase online for her? I'm thinking a card for a department store where she might buy some reasonably priced real food and a few trinkets - nothing fancy.

Tescos? H&M? I'm just not familiar with the stores.

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Tescos is essentially a supermarket chain, so its mostly foodstuff and crap electronics.
    H&M is a female clothing range.

Debenhams is a department store. Its mostly clothes and random stuff. Although can get some real "Englishy" stuff.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

How about a prepaid visa instead?

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

"Live long and prosper" seems like a good general purpose card.

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Prepaid visa card is the way to go.

Although I'm old fashioned and like cold hard cash!

English notes (not Scottish) and nothing higher then 20's, are preferable.

6. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Waterstones. Get herself a book to read while travelling.

7. righty

righty Valued Member

So I just found out she's actually spending time in Scotland first.

The prepaid Visa is a good idea, but you know, that's a bit too much like cash for me. I think it would be easier to get her cash in the local currency - and maybe a nice touch too.

Having never been to Scotland, what stores do you have? I just image everyone in Scotland going to their local pub to buy groceries.

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Scottish stores are the same multinationals that exist in England, Britain, and the UK.

There's a few "high street" gift vouchers that are accepted everywhere.

I'd go for those.

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

There is no more British experience than shopping at Marks and Spencer. :)

They do clothing, some gifts, and high quality, somewhat expensive food. Maybe that would work for her?

Mitch

10. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Just wanted to add H&M isn't just women's clothing, and Marks & Spencer and Waitrose would work well. Do John Lewis do gift cards?