best cardio workout without running

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by tel, Mar 6, 2006.

1. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

due to a knee injury i have probems running because it hurts for days afterwards.
    what the best cardio work out apart from that.
    am thinking of doing thai boxing but would like something else too

2. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. tel

yeah cheers thought about that, not very good at it , but yeah makes sense, what do you do?

4. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Theres cycling, rowing machine, crosstrainer. However the swimming suggestion sounds the best to me. Would take the most stress off the knee!

5. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Circuit training.

6. tel

including what exersies?

7. tel

i got a cross trainer in garage, but its hard to get into it, just find it boring even with music. was thinking about switching between cycling and swimming

8. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I simply do tabata sprints

9. tel

soz can you explain them

10. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

Skipping ;)

nothing builds stamina more than a good session of jump rope.

11. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

12. tel

13. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I was going to say pistols pull ups and dips but your knee wont do. Not being able to use your lower body takes away most cardio options.

14. tel

its mainly running i have a problem with

15. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

If you have a routine at home its something you could use for even just 5mins to get some benefit from. A 20min sessions will get boring, so more beneficial to do less time but on a hard setting.

16. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

It's supposedly a good way of working on both aerobic and anaerobic endurance at the same time. I tried it a few times before I got a proper gym and if nothing else it's absolutely knackering!

17. flaming

flaming Valued Member

The knee problem might be an ACL. The hamstring directly behind the knee is much stronger than the two at the side due to running which only usually happens in one direction. I had that and i did some sidelunges at the end of my workouts to strengthen the hamstrings in all directions.

If your ok with pistols id say the best cardio would be pistols, pull ups, dip, and a ab exercise for rounds as this uses the greatest amount of muscle so should be the best.

18. bonita

bonita Valued Member

jumping rope is amazing and jumping jacks you'd be amazed how much that'll take out of you!

19. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

swimming or sex :D

20. kenwen

kenwen Valued Member

hang on, hang on - 1 legged squats are good for cardio? I'm sorry but that's complete rat crap, how many pistols can you do, how long can you sustain pistoling and what does your heart rate get to?