Best Bodyweight Exercise for Biceps?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mo Lung, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

I do a lot of bodyweight training to supplement my kung fu. I'm not really into weights, nor do I have the time or money to attend a gym.

The main muscles involved in straight punching are the triceps and these are well targeted with all manner of push ups and dips, etc..

I was wondering what you guys thought might be the best bodyweight exercise for the opposite side, the bicep. The best thing I can think of (and the only one that really targets the biceps as far as I can tell) is the chin-up, with your palms facing you and your hands close together.

What do y'all think?

2. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

Yeah all I can think of is the chins.

I suggest you invest in some dumbells. I know you said you're not into weights and don't want to invest in any but the options with dumbells to work the biceps is endless.

They won't cost you much and you can chuck them under your bed.

3. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

Yeah, I have some actually, but I rarely use them! I just got to thinking about the bodyweight angle. I do loads of exercises throughout the day, even at work (if I go to the loo, I'll bash out 50 push ups before I go back, for example! :) )

However, once in a while (maybe once every week or two) I'll spend a day doing nothing but chins to target my biceps. That got me to wondering if there were any other b/w exercises for biceps.

:)

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Chins i8s the way to go. Palms facing you will emphasise them over the radialis & brachialis. Width of grip will have minimal effect - remember - take longer to lower than to lift.

5. Eddie

Eddie New Member

if you have a barbell, you must try twentyones. they really isolate the bicepts and build good arms. no heavy weights are needed.

there are different ways of pushups. play around, you'd be suprised to see which muscless work by just changing the angle of the hands etc.

Chin ups are good too.
    e

6. YODA

Barbell? Bodyweight exercises? Hmmmm....

21's do hurt - becasue they fill the muscle with lactate so fast. Not sure how that relates to building strength though.

If I punch you in the arm THAT will hurt too. Not a good muscle builder though :D

7. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

What are 21's ?

8. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

Spike Drags for arms, shoulders and upper chest.

Requirs enough floor space to drag your body across the floor.

Lie Belly down, knees bent up, hands in fists, reach arms forward and firmly place fists in front of you as if you drove a spikes into
    the floor. Now pull yourself forward using "only" the pressure of your fists against the floor, arms do not go past your shoulder and you can't use the pressure of your forearms against the floor or wiggle hips to move forward. Continue until you have dragged yourself across the length of the room. If you do a good sized room this exercise often makes your muscles quiver.

9. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Jeez and a lot of explaining to do when you head to A&E (ER) to get your carpet burns treated! :D

The only other bodyweight-type exercises that I can think of are Isometric. For biceps you coudl do a similar exercise to a single arm curl using the other hand to apply the pressure. Or you could do both by contracting against the under side of a table for instance.

I suppose for that matter you coudl probably add an isometric element to you chin-ups. As Yoda mentioned one way would be to lower slowly. The other would be to maintain a position midway through a chin-up.

There are several books on MA-specific isometric exercises and old-time grapplers swear by the exercises.

The other you coudl consider are the various resistance bands that there are on the market at the moment. A few of the guys in my gym swear by them.

10. tave

tave New Member

I'm told that lifting weights could affect my growth (i just turned 17), are this resistance bands safe?.

11. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

As far as I am aware no resistance type training will stunt growth. You'll be fine as long as you use an educated, sensible approach.
    People often try to discourage others because they do not want to see them succeed due to envy or whatever issues they may have.
    Go for it!!!!!!!!!!
    :D

12. YODA

It's true - it WILL affect your growth. You'll get bigger & stronger!

13. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Theres are loads of dynamic tension exercises (I think thats what its called) that work your own muscles against each other. Try using the same motion as a curl except without weights but keep as much tension in you muscle as possible.

I am not an expert on the subject maybe someone else here knows more.

14. tave

tave New Member

lol, i'm talking about height

15. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

Just how short are you?

16. r4bid

r4bid New Member

At 17 you should be fine, I have been lifting since I was 16 or so, as long as you have good form and know what you are doing you will be fine.

17. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

For tave:

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/rockie4.htm
    From link:
    NEVER take testosterone supplements PERIOD. Not even the mass market off the shelf ones.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2003
  18. tave

tave New Member

i'm about 5'9'' , 5'10''

19. YODA

Agreed - don't screw with your hormonal system!

20. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

Not exactly a shorty then:) I thought you was going to say about 5'2" or something!!
    If anyone else tells you "it will stunt your growth" besides the rational argument that it doesn't you could also tell them that you're tall enough already.

Stunt your growth..................?!!