Best and Worst Uniforms/Gi's in MA?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by MarcoPolo, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

[​IMG]

From left to right
    po, lala, dipsy and tink winky

2. Unisonus

Unisonus Bloody Rare, Please

This is what tough guys wear:

[​IMG]

3. matbla

matbla Banned Banned

here is a photo of me
    in last reply what would i look like in that
    and for all what gi would you see me in for wear around appartment and train at home? please where can i get that
    from matt blake

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  4. matbla

matbla Banned Banned

from matt blake

Attached Files:

5. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Those are some.. *cough* ..interesting pads.

Kinda reminds me of the little brother from "A Christmas Story" when he's waddling down the streets all bundled up. All thats needed is a red ranger BB gun and BAM! Your cute outfit is complete. :)

Anyways.. I'm gonna have to say all black KF uniforms with the mandarin collar are very clean looking and very comfortable.

Those KSW uniforms looked interesting at first... but then again.. its kinda like a sash on a broadsword.. Looks Cool.. Doesn't do a whole lot for me though.

6. matbla

matbla Banned Banned

thank you for your reply
    i am looking for a gi you thank i should wear at home for trining or to watch tve doing leg streaching
    from matt blake

Attached Files:

7. Drunken Miss Ho

Drunken Miss Ho New Member

I think those are awesome! Seriously! I had no idea Mongolian wrestlers were such fashionistas. I'm definetly getting me some of those boots. And yes, I'm being dead serious.

I found out that there's a pretty interesting history behind those uniforms-

"According to legend, the briefs and the exposed chest are to ensure that each participant is male. Supposedly, hundreds of years ago, a woman entered the competition under the guise of being male and became the dominant wrestler."
    from- http://www.combatwrestling.com/outermongolian.html

I think I might be even more into the inner mongolian uniforms though-

http://www.cyclechina.com/pic/Wrestling with Mongolian.jpg

My other votes for top uniform are Kendo, Aikido, and Ninjitsu Uniforms. I love the Shaolin uniforms when they're worn by Shaolin monks, non-monks just look like idiots wearing them. For myself, just a t shirt and track pants are perfect for Kung Fu, but I do miss wearing a Karate Gi, I love the snap the heavier ones make.

I have to the Savate body condoms are definetly the worst.
    BKG, it's just not cool to go around wearing spandex. That's why everyone makes fun of cyclists (and I am one, but I'd rather suffer and wear cutoffs than wear that spandex crap) It makes everyone look fat and sweaty. Natural fibers are definetly where it's at. Plus, usually the people who wear spandex are the ones you least want to see wearing spandex, martial artist or not. And like Thomas was saying I'd rather not have that much skin contact with other students, male or female.

8. Drunken Miss Ho

Drunken Miss Ho New Member

You obviously have never been to West Hollywood or Provincetown, BKG :D
    In fact I have a few friends who've probably worn outfits quite similar to those, but with tassels. :rolleyes:

9. Tomanak

Tomanak Nil Desperendum

My favorite MA uniforms are just variations of the basic gi. The ones I think look best are the ones I own :D

For everyday gi-grappling (sport BJJ) training, I actually use a heavyweight Tang Soo Do uniform (Proforce Master’s Choice). Strange choice, but its tough and heavy enough to withstand the pressures of the ground game, and I think the black trim looks very distinct:

[​IMG]

I also own another Proforce uniform, the Karate Demo Team uniform. No particular reason I got this (especially since I’ve never taken a day of pure Karate in my life), but the design kind of snuck up on me:

[​IMG]

For BJJ/grappling tournaments, I take out the Rolls-Royce of my gis. I use a Mitsuboshi Master Grade uniform, and it helps put me in the proper mindset (i.e. “you’re wearing a Mitsuboshi gi, so you’d better win, you doofus!”)

[​IMG]

I have to agree that the worst uniform has got to be the wrestling singlet, MOST ESPECIALLY the camouflage variety that seems to be (groan!) gaining popularity:

[​IMG]

10. incubus

incubus Valued Member

11. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I don't like the dobok/gi's that are white with black stripes along the lapel or leg trim. I know some instructors/black belts wear them but I guess I've been wearing white for so long its just what I want. My instructor likes the BB's to wear them but I dont' want to blow $75 just to get the stripes.

12. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

if its itf the leg and arm stripe only comes into p ay from 4th dan 1st to 3rd is usualy just black trim round the bottom in itf but with tagb its black lapels

13. BoredNow

BoredNow Valued Member

Kwaj - buy some black ribbon, find friend with sewing machine? Got to be cheaper than $75

14. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Like BoredNow said, find a tailor/sewing person and find out how much they would charge to add striping. Best place to check is if there is a military base around... there are often places that do on the spot sewing and tailoring quickly and cheaply and to your request. (If you have an instructor who thinks that the "uniform affects your skill", check to see if s/he minds first though).

We have a student who sews very well and she has been adding stripes, patches, and repairs for some people.

15. matbla

matbla Banned Banned

from matt blake

Attached Files:

16. matbla

matbla Banned Banned

thank you please keep this topic going it is going in the right
    way this is the best topic i seen so fair in two months
    from matt blake

Attached Files:

17. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Hi Matt, I'm somewhat confused - are you posting pictures of yourself here? If so, are you arguing that you have the worst martial arts uniform? Or are the giant pictures part of your sig? If so, they're a bit big!

18. matbla

matbla Banned Banned

no it is century size 8 middle weight gi i like it very much
    i just want to you to see the gi
    o.k. it is not how big you are doing ma but that your doing it
    i am sorry to post here
    from matt blake

19. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I wasn't accusing you of being a giant, I was saying that your pictures themselves were quite large! Sorry if I offended you!

Yes, I like the standard karate gi too!

20. matbla

matbla Banned Banned

i can not get the photos smaller
    i was not saying i was big but i am but that size does not matter
    in ma frommatt blake