Best and Worst Uniforms/Gi's in MA?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by MarcoPolo, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Looks like a way to sell more uniforms as the students goes to another belt...

2. TXKukSoolBB

TXKukSoolBB Valued Member

Apparently respect for others and other M.A.'s is not part of your training. To answer you question, not only am I proud, I am honored to have In Hyuk Suh as the founder and Grandmaster of Kuk Sool Won.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2005
  3. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

i like the kuk sool colour belt uniforms, black is cool! and doesnt get so dirty!!
    but the yellow tassles on the BB ones are too much IMO. plus you have to buy all the patches! ours are already on the dobok.
    i like our doboks, they are plain and then we have the option of buying more colourful doboks if we wana, like the club one, which are not too flashy, just a bit of red stripes down the side.
    anyway, i like the plain ones best, looks like we all do. anyone lurking with a flame dobok? eheheh

4. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

I do like my TKD dobok.

The traditional Kung Fu Uniforms look the part as well.

5. matbla

matbla Banned Banned

could some send me a satin gi like
    i do not have much money i love them
    there great as a gi there cool not hot when wearing them
    from matt blake

Attached Files:

6. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

For me, my "beef" with singlets and spandex is purely personal. As a big hairy guy who works in close contact with students of all ages and both genders, we all would prefer it if I am covered up. It is for modesty, sweat absorption, and for ease on the eyes. Wearing spandex under unforms is really good though, but as a primary unform it doesn't really sit well with what we do.

I don't have any hangups about rolling on the ground mostly naked with another man, but some of my students might. Besides the chance of them being in their underwear on the street getting attacked (hopefully) is very small (especially in the cold north here...)

As for wearing little spandex short in a sports competition, I think it is fine... especially when they are worn by well conditioned athletes competing in an "as fair as can be match". Alth, if they are saying they are "the most realistic fighting allowed", then they should be forced to wear street clothes appropriate to the environment and climate (can you see the parka MMA matches?)

7. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

BKG, it''s not about the spandex man.

You have to admit those guys look funny in their underpants :D... so I think it's more of a perception thing and not a material one....

8. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Meh, I guess, lol.

I still prefer them, though.

And it was funny, we had a visitor yesterday, he hit the floor in his jeans, and all I could think, getting to a point Thomas made, was "Can I attack him, I want to see if my tecnhiques works against a guy in denim"...

9. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

I think we're seeing a pretty clear trend:
    Grappler's have the worst uniforms.
    Sumo diapers, MMA panties, and of course, the Mongolian wrestling... thing.

The AAU has Shuai Chiao in their CMA tournaments. I really hope those aren't the uniforms they use.

Old-skoo' traditional wushu uniforms are pretty nice. But don't hate on my electric blue silk wushu pajamas; those things are comfortable as all get-out. I wore my wushu uniform when I ran for Homecoming.... it was a great day.

10. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Actually, the preferred style of uniform most likely refelcts what you do...

For TKD sparring (under the rules anyway), you want speed and coolness... which the V-neck provides... although grappling in these can lead to some torn up uniforms. The heavier wraparounds are nice for throwing and grabbing but slow down your striking a bit (and heat you up easier)... and provide handholds for grapplers. Spandex panties make you sleak and prevent hand holds (unless you are hairy)... but don't provide for protection against scraping/scratching/etc.

I like how I look in a tuxedo but I am not going to work in the cornfield in it...

11. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Exactly what I meant... it's all in your mind ;)...

12. matbla

matbla Banned Banned

i like this gi and i would wear a satin jacket over it
    from matt blake

Attached Files:

13. bruce lee 3 e's

bruce lee 3 e's New Member

get shot in ghetto wearing that!

14. Stormrider

Stormrider Banned Banned

I cant stand the WTF TKD Doboks. The V neck ones anyway I really dislike. They are uncomfortable in the arms and the proportions are off for the sizes. Parts of the uniform are extremely tight while others hang loose. I will probably get a wraparound soon and just use that for events where a full uniform is required. My v neck uniform is also constantly ripping whenever we do any sort of throws or grappling so I basically never wear it to class anymore. Typically I just wear altered dobok pants and a rash guard and tshirt.

For BJJ I have a doubleweave white Gi that feels like it weighs about 60 pounds. Actually the gi pants are really comfortable its just the tops which get heavy. The blue Gis are pretty cool looking though and I may invest in a lighter one of those.

When I am just working out I really like wearing BJJ Gi shorts and a rash guard or tshirt.

Best overall: Traditional Kung Fu just look cool.

15. Bellator Manus

Bellator Manus Warrior of the Hand

This is the best. :cool: Yes, I am the authority on this.

[​IMG]
    Ha, ha, ha . . . their pictures would look like adventures in rainbow land!

16. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

Dont be so daft.

I was not disrespecting your MArtial Art at all. Simply stating that your GM dresses like Hugh Hefner.

Seriously his outfit looks like a satin smoking jacket.

This thread is about the best and worst UNIFORMS. NOT the best and worst martial arts.

I dont know anything about KSW. However the facty remains that to myself (and a large proportion of the poepl who have posted on this thread apparently) the uniforms look utterly absurd. There's no shame in that, it just doesnt appeal to the rest of us.
    Shame that the apparent hilarity value of the uniforms seems to only increase with rank, the most outlandish combo being sported by your Grandmaster.

Live with it. To us it looks dorky. That said, it may very well be a traditional and effective martial art, I dont know.

Notice also that ion my first post I ripped it out of Vale tudo shorts, which look for all the world like dodgy Calvin Klein Boxers. Check my Sig:
    I do Vale Tudo.
    Doesnt stop me form seeing the absurdity in the tighty whitie style shorts sported by some Vale Tudo exponents.

(Note: I dont wear Vale Tudo briefs/shorts when training. I wear custom fitted Sprawl XT shorts).

Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  17. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

THe best uniform has gotta be the most comfortable one .
    and not all tkd groups use the v neck the itf dobok isnt a v neck design its based on the kreran costume although loosely and allows for less uniform to be grabbed onto. likewise teh wtf v neck minimises grabbale material in favour of neatness

18. baubin2

baubin2 New Member

In TXKukSoolBB's defense, I thought the exact same thing he did upon reading your comment, and would have said the same thing he did if he hadn't beaten me to it. I'm glad to hear you were simply commenting on the uniforms and not intentionally being rude about Kuk Sa Nim or KSW.

That said, yes the uniforms do look funny. But we don't actually train in them, they're for ceremonial purposes only. As only 10 different people have already stated. Training uinforms are simple black doboks with (optional) a few patches sewn on.

19. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Maybe not, looks like something you'd expect to see on a pimp, just lacks bling.

20. matbla

matbla Banned Banned

i like these gi's from matt blake

Attached Files: