Best and Worst Uniforms/Gi's in MA?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by MarcoPolo, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I don't like v-necks either. I like the wrap-arounds....

2. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

Best: heavyweight, black (karate) gi, no patches. I also like the black cotton Tai Chi uniform.

Worst: sumo mawashi (at least, it's the one I'd least want to wear. :D )

Carson would fix him right up! (I love that show!)

3. BushidoUK

BushidoUK Weston Martial Arts

I personally prefer a plain white heavy weight Karate-Gi with absolutely NO patches or insignia.

The black Gi's tend to look really poor once they have faded

But the coolest looking would have to be the predator-jitsu stealth gi.......

honest it exists,

really it does

you even have to kiai the predator noise whilst you're training and everything

4. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Best (for me): I like dobok pants (Century(R) medium weight with elastic top) with a teeshirt.
    I like the wraparound gi for more formal wear and for practicing throwing and grabbing but it does tend to get disheveled easily
    I like the TKD v-neck for the confort, lower chance of getting pulled apart and for the way it fits. I personally think it's a great inovation and fits the sport side of TKD very well (and it very good for all TKD use)

Worst (for me): wrestling singlet (the one-strap model), UFC uniform (the tight black briefs with the eyes on the back)

5. Evil Betty

Evil Betty Birdy, birdy birdy

Best: Traditional karate and Judo/Aikido gi. You can't go wrong with Kung Fu pants and tank-tops/t-shirts. I also love those plain black outfits that Bruce Lee wore.

Worst: Colored gi, fancy tournement gi, speedos, and anything that tries to say "I'm a badass fighter".

6. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Why the beef with the singlets and the MMA shorts? Seriously? I wear a singlet under my uniform; they're quite comfortable! Or do you all just have a beef with what's in the shorts or singlet? Or is it the whole "spandex" thing? Sheesh.

I'd rather wear a singlet or shorts than those stupid Wu Shu uniforms. Bright pink pajamas for forms and fighting. Damn things rip if you breathe too heavily.

7. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Those Wushu unofrms are better than the MMA shorts/singlets/spandex. I think.

8. KSprenk

KSprenk be

I always thought the Tai Chi uniforms look pretty sweet.

9. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

No one has said "why". At least people criticizing the "traditional" uniforms can cite the fact that they're uncomfortable, restrictive, limit movement, don't absorb sweat well, or are too flimsy.

Why, you guys got a problem with seeing guys compete in tight clothing?

GROW UP :woo: :bang:

10. Lennert

Lennert Valued Member

I love a plain, heavy, black or white Gi

I also tend to hate those savate tights.. (just because they are not estetically pleasing to me, if you really want to know...)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2005
  11. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Nope.

My dobak, is comfortable, not flimsy, allow movement, and absorb sweat well.

And those look pretty uncomfortable, and also I do have a problem with guys in tight clothing.

12. Evil Betty

I'll admit it can be difficult to get a gi that allows full movement. I only have one gi right now, which usually gets washed with my other whites in hot water. My gi gets pretty tight and restricts my movement a bit, especially when I sweat. I think the solution will be to get a bunch of high quality gi's, so i can wash them all properly, without any shrinkage.

Also, I'll bet the heavier gi's used in Judo and Aikido absorb sweat a lot better. I think most serious Karate students end up purchasing those instead of Karate gi's.

What do you mean by traditional Kung Fu? The Shaolin uniforms? I thought those silk Wu Shu ditties were considered traditional.

I agree, those silk uniforms look terrible.

13. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

When I say traditional I refer to the heavy cotton uniforms with the frog-grommet clasps. COTTON, not faux silk pj's.

This:
    [​IMG]

NOT this:

[​IMG]

And these are just insulting, IMO:

[​IMG]

14. Evil Betty

:D Yep.

15. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

i personally prefer the black gi's...with maybe patch or two..but not too many....I like aikido gi's because they feel like they will last a lifetime..but are too heavy for me to move as efficiently as i want too

My least favorite would have to be tights..and i'm not too fond of the kung fu silky ones either, the ones with the frog buttons are alright.

Dj Hunny

16. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Man, I'd live in my dobok if I could its so comfortable.

17. gpinkert

gpinkert Valued Member

Personally I enjoy black cotton martial arts pants with a white gi, some might say it's tacky but I think they compliment one another quite well. (I'm aware that aikido and judo use solid colored uniforms but the group that I train with has been using these uniforms for the last 30 years) Although the hakama is just plain awesome in my book. There's also another type of wear although I'm not sure what it's called, it's essentially a very "large" pair of black cotton pants. Large around the legs so you can move the feet around and not be seen underneath it, those are also cool by my standards.

As far as the worst outfit:
    I do agree that the "american flag" type outfits are rather tacky. I'm not a huge fan of patches but I don't think they're a problem unless an entire uniform is covered in them. But I'd go with the mexican wrestling outfits as the worse, although they are eye catching. :D

18. Downstroke

Downstroke New Member

Personally I love my Red Ox V-Neck dobok. I've had a few doboks over the years but this one is the nuts! My dobok pants usually end up getting recycled as pyjama bottoms after their dojang days have come to an end because they're too dang comfy. I read once that the V Neck design was based on a traditional Korean farmers smock, but whatever, it works for me.

But, my absolute favourite is my black HKD diamond stitch jacket/white pants combo. The black diamond stitch jackets with yellow stitching are also sweet, but I believe you are only entitled to wear one from third dan. I also have a white instructor's diamond stich V-neck which is the preffered instructor's uniform in my association. My GM brought one over from Korea for me on is recent visit.

I don't know why everyone's bagging on the KSW doboks, ok, they're overly ceremonial but are based on Korean Royal Court dress from the Silla dynasty. I don't personally know any KSW practitioners, but I'd imaging they wear something a little more functional during training sessions.

I would say my least favourite would have to be those multi-coloured stars down the leg & arms gi's/doboks/whatever you see advertised in those ads in the MA press.

19. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

How can you argue with those gauntlets???

And no, I wasn't kidding about the kuk sool won uniforms... :eek:

20. TXKukSoolBB

TXKukSoolBB Valued Member

That is true. The picture that you saw is what we call our "General's" uniform. It is only for blackbelts and worn only for official ceremonies or at competition when you are using traditional weapons since they are based on the uniforms worn by the Korean Royal Court. We wear regular black cotton doboks for training. I find that my generals uniform is just as comfortable and easy to move it as my training dobok. Each of the uniforms are custom made to your waist size. Even then, I had mine tailored some more.