bent or broken nose

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Vijay arun, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Vijay arun

Vijay arun New Member

I love boxing.But they say that in boxing you are at a high risk of a broke or bent nose.Is that true.Does it differs in amateur boxing?
    I can't imagine a bent nose!

2. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

Nowdays they can fix it very well, if you're willing to go through with an operation.

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Boxing and noses do not get on very well - just ask mine :(

A decent headguard with face protection, like the Fairtex Facesaver, is one option.

Click for details

Last edited: Jan 11, 2004
  4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Its kind of part and parcel of the sport, sorry mate...

5. Vijay arun

Vijay arun New Member

Ok then as I understand nose is the weakest part in the face.But in boxing why are they hitting at the chin which is heavily guarded instead of at the nose which is the least guarded?

6. zun

zun New Member

I've broken my nose and am hoping for an operation to straighten it soon. It gives me a minor problem - and most people don't realise that it is broken (or bent) at all.

Beyond a slight breathing annoyance, a broken nose is nothing that affects me.

For practitioners in MA - broken limbs, concussions, internal injuries, etc is the sometimes the price we pay for the craft we love.

Vijay,

A punch to chin may lead to a knock out. A broken nose just hurts.

7. Vijay arun

Vijay arun New Member

Does broken nose gives bleeding problems?

8. Zabuza

Zabuza Valued Member

it'll mess up your balance and normally your eye'll water up. Mines still broken right now, like you can feel were its broken.

9. booj

booj New Member

Unless you have the evasive skills of Willie Pep (the man who could aparently win a round without throwing a punch) then you will get hit in the face - FACT. If you just want to box for fitness, just avoid heavy sparring - however, if you want to do it seriously then maybe you need to consider you're priorities - vanity or acheivements in the ring.

Anyway, many would say a boxers nose has a certain amount of character - like sporting all your medals on your face!!!

10. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

lost count of the number of times my nose has been broken.

only a couple of times when sparring though, most of them were due to a mispent youth in mosh pits :D